Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup is topped off with Cheddar Dumplings and melted cheese on top all come together for one scrumptiously easy meal!
Continuing my mad dash, head long, into Fall…I decided to do a little twist on the classic Chicken and Dumplings.
Don’t mistake me…I love the classic! I just wanted to see if I could pair dumplings with another favorite…creamy chicken broccoli soup.
I’m so glad I went out on a limb. This is one of the most comforting dishes I’ve ever had, and it will be appearing frequently on the menu this Fall and Winter. This dish has a lot of “cheats” that make it quick and easy to make without compromising flavor or quality!
Let’s do this! (I think I’m a little excited…no time for chit-chat today! Mark this day on your calendar friends.)
How To Make Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup with Cheddar Dumplings
In a large soup pot, with a lid, add your first “cheat”….two cans cream of chicken soup! Add two cups (or two cans) of milk, and one can chicken broth. Time for your second “cheat”…1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken. Add 1/2 cup diced celery, 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes, 1 package frozen broccoli cuts, 1/4 cup finely shredded carrots, salt and pepper to taste.
Stir that all together, cover, place over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook for 30 minutes. (Hurry go fold a load of laundry!)
Dumpling time. Here comes cheat number 3…Bisquick! Yep, that’s right…we’re using that All-American quick baking mix for these dumplings! (Why? Cause we have laundry to fold and 5th grade math to figure out!!!)
In a medium bowl add 2 cups Bisquick, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese.
Mix together. (Am I amazing you with the difficulty level of this recipe? I told ya…easy peasy!)
Tip: You may need to add more milk if mixture is too dry. You want a wet sticky dough that can be dropped by the spoonful into the soup.
Bring the soup to a low boil. Give it another good stir.
Add the “dumplings” by dropping a large heaping Tablespoon into the boiling soup. Start going around the outer edge, leaving about a 1/2 inch to an inch space between each dumpling. Then drop two – three more dumplings into the center.
Cover with lid and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
Remove lid and sprinkle with cheese. See the bubbles in the nooks of the dumplings? That’s what ya want to see. Cover and turn heat off. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
Reverently remove lid. (We’re about to share a moment…)
Shhhhhhhh! Let’s just have a moment of silence for those big fluffy cheesy dumplings!!! Aren’t the absolutely splendid!!!!
Dive in and scoop up a dumpling. Place it in a soup bowl. Ladle several scoops of that delicious creamy chicken and broccoli soup around that big beautiful dumpling.
I don’t want to steal another soup companies “slogan”…but this really is “Mmmmmm, Mmmmm, Good!”
It’s a complete meal! Chicken, Veggies, a rich delicious soup, and that amazing plump cheddar dumpling! You don’t need anything else to go with this all in one dish. Your family will love this meal!
If you like this soup recipe you’ll love these other Soup Recipes
- Hamburger Pasta Vegetable Soup
- Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Bacon Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- Chicken Enchilada Soup with Cheesy Quesadillas
Be sure to join me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Where I share all my latest recipes and favorites every day.
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups milk (or two cans of milk)
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1 - 14 oz. bag frozen broccoli florets
- Salt and Pepper to taste.
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, divided in half
- In a large pot, with a lid, place all the soup ingredients. Mix well. Cover and Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl mix two cups of bisquick, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1/4 cup of shredded cheese to form a wet sticky dough. If dough is too dry add more milk a Tablespoon at a time to get the desired consistency.
- Bring soup to a low boil.
- Drop dumpling dough into the boiling soup by the heaping Tablespoon full. Start around the outer edge leaving a 1/2 - 1 inch space between the dumplings. Drop two - three more dumplings in the center. You should 8 - 9 dumplings.
- Cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover, turn off heat, and allow to "rest" for 5 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Newness Soup Ladle, Integral Forming Soup Pan Ladle, 304 Stainless Steel Ladle Soup Spoon with Vacuum Ergonomic Handle for Kitchen, [Rustproof, Lightweight, Durable], 11.6 Inches
Spring Chef Dough Blender, Top Professional Pastry Cutter with Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Blades (Black-Medium)
AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 7.3-Quart, Green
Serving Size:1 dumpling and 1 1/2 cups of soup.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 1453mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 22g