Piled high with mounds of fresh thick sliced Granny Smith Apples, covered in a rich buttery caramel sauce and topped with a crispy golden cinnamon crumb topping…this is the PERFECT Dutch Apple Pie!
I’m done! That’s right… I’m D.O.N.E.with summer!
I’m kicking that Diva to the curb! Anyone else tired of the heat and sweating? It’s time to turn my back on her (Yep…summer is a “she”! Hot, stubborn, and unrelenting! Lol) I’ve decided enough is enough!
To celebrate my divorce from the previous season…even if she hasn’t received the memo yet… I made this delectable “Fall” Dutch Apple Pie for my good friend and her husband when they came to visit!
Oh my goodness! This pie is the perfect way to say “Howdy Fall!”
How To Make Dutch Apple Pie
I used my favorite Apple Pie filling which comes from “All Recipes.com”…known as, Grandma Opal’s Apple Pie. Nothing can compete with that buttery caramel sauce. Grandma Opal knew what she was doing!
You’ll need a single pie crust. My recipe for Pie Crust is amazing!
TIP: You can purchase a pre-made crust if you want for this pie. Whatever works best for you.
How To Make Homemade Caramel Sauce
In a medium sauce pan melt 1/2 cup unsalted butter. Add in 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour to form a paste. Add 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce the temperature and let simmer for 5 minutes.
Fill the bottom of the single pie crust with 8 peeled and cored Granny Smith Apples cut into nice thick slices. I like an Apple Pie I can sink my teeth into! If the apples are cut too thin, then the filling turns to “applesauce”. Ewwwwwww!
Pour the caramel butter sauce over the apples.
Isn’t that glorious?!!! I could honestly just eat those crispy apples with that ooey-gooey caramel sauce.
Movin’ along… Time to make that crispy delicate cinnamon crumb topping! This is the crowning finish to this pie.
In a medium bowl add 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Cut ingredients together with a pastry blender/cutter until a pea size crumbs form.
TIP: I like to start out with the pastry blender and then switch to my hands to get a really fine crumb.
Spread crumb topping over the apple filling going all the way to the edges of the unbaked crust.
Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar. This will help add a little extra “Crisp” to the top of the crumb!
Place pie on a foil lined baking sheet, this is a little trick I do to keep my oven clean, and bake at 425° degree oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325° for an additional 45 minutes or until apples are soft, and the crumb topping is golden.
The Pie will need to cool before serving…unless you like chasing runny pie filling all over the table. Lol (It’s only a tad awkward running your tongue along the table when guest are over!)
Once cool cut a nice big thick slice for your husband/guest…grab a fork and the pie plate for yourself and run for the bedroom and lock the door!
The apples are tender with a little crisp. I like them a little on the crispy side. The buttery caramel sauce thickens and is so tasty with those slightly tart Granny Smith apples. That crispy cinnamon crumb topping is the BEST!!! When all those components are combined it creates the perfect Dutch Apple Pie!
This pie will have ya licking the plate clean! Enjoy! (Only come out of the bedroom if ya want to! Lol)
If you enjoyed this delicious pie recipe here are some other Fantastic Fresh Pie Recipes
- Fresh Classic Blueberry Pie
- Cranberry Apple Pie
- Traditional Homemade Cherry Pie
- Fresh Triple Berry Galette
- Fresh Strawberry Pie
- Coconut Pecan Chess Pie from Julia’s Simply Southern
Thanks so much for stopping by and Happy Nesting!
- 1 - 9 inch unbaked pie shell
- 8 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, and thickly sliced
Caramel Sauce for filling
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 °.
Caramel Sauce for Filling
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar, and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with prepared sliced apples, mounded gently. Gently pour the sugar and butter caramel liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- In a medium bowl mix softened butter, flour, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender cut ingredients together until a small pea size crumble forms. You can use your fingers to finish combining to get an even smaller crumb.
- Sprinkle crumb over the apple slices and caramel sauce, making sure topping goes to the edges. Sprinkle with One Tablespoon of Sugar.
- Place the pie on a foil lined baking sheet. (This will help keep your oven sparkling clean!)
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce temperature to 350° and continue baking for 35- 45 minutes, until apples are soft and topping is golden brown and crisp.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 skuce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 438Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 35mgCarbohydrates: 63gFiber: 3gSugar: 42gProtein: 3g