There are so many versions of Apple Crisp, but if you’re looking for a truly spectacular Apple Crisp, this recipe made with Caramel Sauce and an ultra Crispy Oat Topping, is just the ticket! It is truly the BEST Apple Crisp EVER!
I have a confession to make!
I’ve never been a huge fan of Apple Crisp! They’re always a little too “something” for my taste! Either too sweet, or the apples are too mushy! Something is always off for me.
Every Fall when friends would bust out their Apple Crisp Recipes … it would have me cringing! I just knew it was going to be sickening sweet and the topping wouldn’t truly have that crunchy crisp I was looking for.
It’s honestly one of the few desserts I would turn down because it never hit the mark! I was always left “wanting”!
All that said, there is something about Fall and Apple Crisp that go hand-in-hand! One just doesn’t seem complete without the other! I wanted to create a Apple Crisp that would stand out!
I can honestly say this is the BEST Apple Crisp EVER! At least the best I’ve ever had.
It’s not overly sweet thanks to thick slices of tart baking apples. The addition of Caramel Sauce allows you to cut down on the amount of sugar added to this recipe. The topping…is everything a “crisp” topping should be. It’s crispy, crunchy, and loaded with toasted oat goodness!
What You’ll Need to The BEST Make Caramel Apple Crisp!
- 10 Cups Granny Smith, or other baking, Apples – About 7-8 large apples. I recommend Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, or any other hard tart baking apple. Avoid softer apples like Red Delicious.
- ½ Cup granulated white sugar – This will be mixed in with the Apples.
- 2 Tablespoons All-purpose flour – This is used to thicken the Apple filling and will be mixed in with the apples.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon- for the apple filling.
- ¼ teaspoon cardamon (optional)
- 1 Cup quick-cooking oats – I used Quaker Oats, any quick oat will work.
- 1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar- You can use light or dark. For a deeper richer taste I recommend using dark brown sugar as it has a stronger molasses base.
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ Cup butter, melted
- 8 Tablespoons Caramel Ice Cream Topping – I used Sanders Caramel Topping found at Walmart. Any Caramel Topping will work.
How To Make Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce
Peel, core, and slice apples. Place them in a large mixing bowl.
TIP: I like my apples to remain slightly firm in my Apple desserts. In order to accomplish that and not have them “overbake” I cut my apple slices slightly thicker! About 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick slices.
Sprinkle ½ Cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons of flour, cinnamon, and cardamon (optional) and gently toss to coat. Most apple crisp recipes have you sprinkle the sugar-flour mixture over the apples. I prefer to toss them so that each apple is coated in the mixture for a more even distribution during baking.
Place apples in a 9 x 13 baking dish sprayed.
Using a large tablespoon dot the top of the apples with caramel topping. I know this doesn’t look like THAT big of a deal…but trust me, it is!!
It’s the dynamic duo we all crave at this time of year! Caramel and Apples!!
How To Make The BEST Crumb Topping for Apple Crisp
In a medium bowl, combine 1 Cup quick-cooking oats, 1 Cup All-purpose flour, 1 Cup packed brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon baking powder and baking soda, and the melted butter.
TIP: The addition of the baking powder and baking soda adds to the crispiness of the apple topping. Don’t skip it!! We are also using melted butter rather than cold butter. This allows each oat to get coated and “toast” crispy in the oven.
Using a fork, or your hands, combine mixture until well coated and crumbly. Make sure your scrape down the sides of your bowl. We want every drop of that delicious buttery crumb.
Crumble evenly over the apple and caramel mixture. Bake in preheated 350°F (175 C) for about 45 – 50 minutes. Apples should be tender-crisp when pierced with a fork.
Allow crisp to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. This will allow the filling a little time to thicken as it cools. (It will also prevent the burns your guests will get on the roof of their mouths because they want to dig in too soon! It’s an additional thoughtful gift you’re giving them making them wait!)
The ingredients in this dessert create the most decadent rich caramel sauce. The topping is so crispy and blends beautifully with the tart apple caramel filling!
Before serving, heat remaining caramel sauce in your microwave per the directions on the jar. Drizzle over the top of the crisp. Serve with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream
All of the taste testers in my kitchen agreed. This is a GREAT Apple Crisp recipe! Not too sweet. It’s just right!
Questions and Answers About Apple Crisp
- Most Apple Crisp Recipes Call for the Topping to have Cold Butter. This recipe has melted butter for the Crisp Topping. Why? Great Question. By coating each oat with melted butter we are actually allowing them to “toast” like granola! It creates the perfect crispy crunchy topping.
- What’s the difference between a Crisp and a Crumble? Both are a a baked fruit dessert with a layer of topping. Unlike a crisp, a crumble topping rarely includes oats or nuts. A crumble’s topping is more reminiscent t of a streusel.
- Can this dessert be made ahead of time and baked later? Yes! It can be made earlier in the day and baked right before serving. You will need to increase the amount of flour in your apple filling as the apples will release more of their sugars. I recommend doubling the flour to 4 Tablespoons of Flour.
- Can this dessert be reheated? Yes it can be reheated in the microwave, the topping will be slightly less crispy. You can also reheat in your oven for 30 minutes at 350°.
- What is the BEST Apple to use for an Apple Crisp? The firmer tarter apples such as Granny Smith, and Honey Crisp work well in apple crisps and cobbler. They help cut down on the sweetness of this type of dessert. Yellow Golden Delicious work well too.
Other Favorite Apple Recipes
- Apple Pecan Cobbler
- Double Caramel Apples
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie Recipe
- Cranberry Apple Pie
- Apple Pie Caramel Apple with Homemade Caramel
- Amish Apple Fritters from A Red Spatula
Thanks for stopping by my Nest today! I hope you find the time to bake this delicious Caramel Apple Dessert this Fall. It truly is one of my favorite new recipes!
- 10 Cups all-purpose apples, peeled, cored, and sliced.
- ½ Cup white sugar
- 2 Tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Cardamon (optional)
- 1 Cup Quick-Cooking Oats
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour
- 1 Cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 8 Tablespoons Caramel Ice Cream Topping
- Write instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175 degree C)
- Place the sliced apples in a large bowl. Mix the white sugar, 2 Tablespoons of flour, ground cinnamon and cardamon (optional) together, sprinkle over apples. Toss gently to coat evenly.
- Place coated apples in 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Dot the top of the apples with caramel ice cream topping.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, combine oats, 1 Cup flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and melted butter together. Mix until crumbly. Sprinkle crumble evenly over apples and caramel.
- Bake at 350°F for about 45-50 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 15-20 minutes. Apples should be fork tender. Drizzle top with remaining caramel topping that has been heated per the direction on the jar. Serve warm with large scoops of vanilla ice cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
JoyJolt Kitchen Mixing Bowls - 8pc Glass Bowls with Lids Set – Neat Nesting Bowls - Large Mixing Bowl Set Batter Bowl - Cooking Bowls - Storage Bowls with Lids and Big Salad Bowl with BPA-Free Lids
TEYIGARDEN 8" Glass Salad Plates - Set of 4 Round Serving Dinner Plate for Salad, Dessert
Anchor Hocking 4.8 Quart Rectangular Glass Baking Dish (1 piece, tempered tough, dishwasher safe)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 3gSugar: 41gProtein: 3g