Tender Golden Chicken thighs, in a rich easy fresh mushroom and herb cream sauce, combine in one skillet for a scrumptious dinner you’ll want to make again and again!
I realize it’s that “pre-Holiday” time of year with a million pumpkin and turkey recipes.
Don’t get me wrong… I love everything pumpkin… and nothing beats the smell of a Turkey cooking in your kitchen! However, we can’t eat Turkey and stuffing all month long…well maybe you can, but I like to have a diversity at my dinner table.
I love a dish that is made in one skillet (my winter dry dish pan hands thank me!), is easy to make, and loaded with flavor! This is THAT dish!
The combination of mushrooms, wine, herbs and cream…create an absolutely amazing sauce for those budget friendly chicken thighs! Bonus…it’s a great dish that you can throw together on those extra busy nights. What Mom doesn’t love that?!!
If you love flavor this is a dish you and your family will love. It can be served over rice, noodles, or just on its own. Let’s get cooking!
How To Make Chicken Thighs and Mushroom Wine Sauce
Before beginning to cook this dish I highly recommend preparing all the ingredients beforehand. Because this is a one skillet dish, you need everything ready at a moments notice. You don’t have time to be chopping ingredients during cooking.
What to Prepare ahead of time…
- 2 Cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4–6 sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1 Tablespoon freshly chopped chives and parsley
- 6-8 chicken thighs, washed, rinsed and patted dry
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil and 2 Tablespoon Butter
Cooking Chicken Thighs
In a large heavy skillet, like a cast iron skillet, over medium high heat add 2 Tablespoons olive oil and 2 Tablespoons butter.
As the butter is melting and the skillet is pre-heating, rinse and pat dry 8 bone-in chicken thighs. Season with Salt and Pepper. I salt and pepper to taste, but if you’re looking for an exact measurement it’s about 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper for all the prepared chicken thighs.
Carefully place chicken thighs, about 1/2 inch apart, skin side down in the preheated prepared skillet over medium high heat. I recommend always starting skin side down, this way the chicken has a chance to create that golden crispy skin!
Note: Watch out for popping grease. I recommend using a splatter screen when frying to minimize the mess and the potential of getting popped with hot oil.
Allow the chicken to brown 10–15 minutes until the edges of the skin begin to turn golden brown. You may need to reduce the temperature of your stove top if the chicken is cooking too quickly.
Using a pair of long handled tongs, carefully turn each chicken thigh over to brown the bottoms. Continue cooking until juice run clear or chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165° F on a meat thermometer.
Remove chicken and place on a plate. Do not Drain the cooking juices! We need all that flavor for the sauce! So hold on to that yumminess!
Don’t they look great?! That golden crispy skin is key!!! Locks in all the juices and creates a really tender chicken thigh.
Mushroom Cream Sauce
Turn the heat down to medium. To the pan juices add 2 cups sliced mushrooms, 1/4 cup finely chopped onion, and 1 Tablespoon minced garlic and Sautè until mushrooms are tender and onions are translucent. About 5 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 cup of white cooking wine. If you don’t like to cook with cooking wine just use chicken broth. Stir occasionally and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.
Slow add 1/4 cup heavy cream. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to a low simmer.
Add 1–2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, 1 Tablespoons fresh chopped chives, and 2–3 sprigs of fresh thyme. Slowly stir into the white cream wine sauce. Allow to simmer 3–4 minutes to release the flavors of the fresh herbs.
Add chicken thighs back into the mushroom sauce. Let mixture continue to cook on low for 5–10 minutes until cream sauce reduces by half and thickens.
Finishing the Dish
Spoon sauce over chicken breast before serving. Add additional sprigs of herbs, including parsley, to garnish. YUM!
Serve skillet chicken and mushroom sauce over rice or noodles.
Isn’t that a spectacular dish! The chicken is tender and juicy. The Mushroom Garlic Wine sauce is scrumptious over rice. It’s plate lapping good! (Don’t do that though…you need to use a straw! Lol)
Honestly this is a dish you’d order in a fine dinning establishment, but you made it in minutes in your own kitchen with little Johnny clinging to your thigh crying because his sister stole his toy bouncy ball. Take that Ramsey! This is REAL cooking! Lol (I’m just kidding. That man scares me! SCARES ME!!!)
Serve this dish with a Caesar Salad loaded with avocado. Add a crusty loaf of French Bread, or my awesome “Three Cheese Garlic Bread”, and you’ve got an amazing dinner with a one skillet main course! That’s a win my friends!
I’d love to tell you how good the leftovers are the next day…but I’d need leftovers to do that! Such was not the case, so I can only speak to the day of serving…and it was so good! I can’t wait to make this dish again!
Here are some of my other Favorite One Skillet Recipes
- Easy Homemade One Pot Goulash
- Buttered Cod
- Hamburger Mexican Skillet Dinner
- Brooklyn Penne Chicken Pasta Skillet Dinner
- Country Hamburger Skillet Dinner
- Stove Top Skillet Lasagna
- Lemon Pepper Flat Roasted Chicken from Julia’s Simply Southern
Thanks so much for stopping by my Nest today! I hope sometime during this busy Holiday Season you find the time to make this amazing dish. It’s so delicious with its creamy wine sauce and fresh herbs! It just can’t be beat!
Happy Nesting my Friends!
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Rinse, and pat dry chicken thigh. Season each chicken thigh with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large heavy skillet, like cast iron, over medium-high heat, add olive oil and butter. Melt butter. Carefully add seasoned chicken thighs skin down, and cook for 10-15 minutes until edges of skin become golden brown. You may want to use a splatter screen to prevent oil from popping on you during cooking. Using tongs carefully turn each chicken thigh over.
- Brown bottom of each chicken thigh until juices run clear, or internal temperature reaches 165° on a meat thermometer. Using tongs remove chicken and place on plate. Set aside while making the Mushroom wine sauce. Do NOT drain skillet of pan juices.
- Turn heat down to medium. Add mushroom, garlic, and onion to pan juices. Saute for 5 minutes until mushrooms are soft, and onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth and wine. Stir. Simmer for five minutes. Add heavy cream, stirring to combine. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Add 2 sprigs of rosemary, chives, and 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme. Stir to incorporate allowing herbs to release their flavor in the sauce. Simmer an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken thighs back into the skillet with the mushroom wine sauce and continue to simmer 5-10 minutes until cream sauce reduces by half, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Spoon sauce over chicken. Garnish with the remainder of rosemary, thyme, and parsley. Serve over steamed rice or noodles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Splatter Screen for Frying Pan - Stops Almost 100% of Hot Oil Splash - Large 13" Stainless Steel Grease Guard Shield and Catcher- Keeps Stove and Pans Clean & Prevents Burns When Cooking by Zulay
OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Garlic Press,Black,One Size
Utopia Kitchen Stainless Steel Cooking Utensil Set - 5-Piece Serving Spoons
Mud Pie Door Knob Salt Cellar Set, White
Hotec Premium Stainless Steel Locking Kitchen Tongs with Silicon Tips, Set of 2-9" and 12"
Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet - Utopia Kitchen (12.5 Inch)
Serving Size:2 thighs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 781Total Fat: 54gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 365mgSodium: 695mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 64g