An easy, hearty, cost friendly family casserole that is filling and perfect for a delicious week night dinner that even the kids will like.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I think we’ve all had those days when we are running 100 mph, in five different directions, ready to pull our hair out. (If you’re a Woman/Mom whose never experienced this…your doing it wrong… and the other Women/ Mom’s don’t want to play with you! Just sayin’…)
Before we know it…it’s dinner time, the kids are crying (some little…some VERY big…if ya get my drift…insert eye roll!) and we find ourselves standing in front of the pantry staring at the cold cereal boxes! “Okay guys it’s Captain Crunch or Cheerios. Pick your weapon!” (There’s ALWAYS Cheerios! Am I right, or am I right?)
I was having one of those days last week when I needed to throw together a really easy hearty dinner. My mind kicked into high gear mentally ticking off the list of “on-hand” ingredients.
It’s not going to win me the “World’s Greatest Chef”…but your kids are gonna love me! That’s WAY more important than any old award! lol
This is a Budget friendly casserole and Easy to throw together! Both a win-win in my book!
Before we begin…you can cook this two ways! In a hurry…bake it in the oven. On your game…you can use your casserole slow cooker!
How To Make Smoked Beef Sausage and Vegetable Casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
TIP: You can also use your casserole slow cooker and spray that with non-stick cooking spray.
Rinse and cut up 4-5 red potatoes into chunks. You’ll notice mine are two different colors. That’s because I wanted to use up the rest of my baby reds. They tend to be a little creamier than the bigger red potatoes.
Add one package of steamed frozen broccoli, cauliflower, and carrot vegetable medley. It’s better if it can be thawed, but if time doesn’t permit it won’t be the end of the world.
Spread the vegetables on top of your chopped potatoes.
Cut Beef Sausage into Bite Size pieces.Place in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Add 1/2 a small sliced onion and 5 small sliced sweet orange and red peppers.
Saute until tender and sausage is browned.
Place sausage mixture on top of the vegetables.
In the same skillet you cooked the sausage, melt 4 Tablespoons of butter. Add 1/4 cup of flour. Whisk together until a thick creamy paste forms.
Add in 2 cups of milk. Whisking constantly until thick. If mixture is too thick, add more milk.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Add 1 pouch of Velveeta Cheese and 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese. Mix until cheese is melted and creamy.
TIP: Don’t like Velveeta…skip it and add 1/2 cup more of grated cheese.
TIP: If you want to kick this up a notch you could add green chili peppers, or even Jalapeno peppers. (I wanted my stomach to stay with me for the night…so I skipped the “heat”!)
Pour creamy cheese sauce over the top of the entire casserole. Sprinkle with more cheese please! (Can ya ever really have too much cheese? If ya say “No” I’ll pray for ya! lol)
Cover with foil, or place slow cooker top over the baking dish.
TIP: This dish will be 100 times better if you stir half way through the baking time. The reason? The juices from the sausage and the vegetables release during baking and gather at the bottom of the baking dish. Stirring mixes all those delicious juices in with the cheese sauce and kicks this dish up to a whole new level.
Slow Cooker – Cook on LOW for 4 hours! Gently stir half way through baking, if possible.
Oven Cooking – Place Casserole dish in oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender, stir gently half way through baking at 350°.
That’s It! What you have is Beef Smoked Sausage and Vegetable Casserole in an incredible cheese sauce! All ya need is a fork! (And a tongue to lick the plate! Seriously!!! This is plate licking good!)
Know what I love about this casserole? It has it all! Meat. Potatoes. Vegetables. BAM!
Make a beautiful Green Salad and a few of my Old Fashioned Blueberry Muffins, and you’ve got dinner! A GREAT dinner! A “Stick ta yer ribs” kind of dinner! Can’t think of anything better…well…unless it involves chocolate and shopping!
Hope the birds at your Nest love this new recipe as much as the “Big Bird” at my Nest did! It was the perfect dinner to come home to after a long day of work!
If you like this casserole you might enjoy these other Family Favorite Casserole Recipes
- Classic Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chili Relleno Casserole
- Creamy Ham, Pea, and Potato Casserole
- World’s Best Lasagna
- Chicken Rice Casserole
The printable recipe is below…all the way at the bottom of this page.
Thanks for joining me today. Remember you can always follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
- 1 12oz. Hillshire Farm Beef Smoked Sausage, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 12 oz. package Birds Eye Steamfresh, Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Carrots, thawed
- 4-5 Medium Red Potatoes, washed and cut into chunks
- 1/2 Small Onion sliced thinly
- 5-6 Small Sweet Red & Yellow Peppers, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 4oz. pouch of Velveeta Cheese
- 2 cups Grated Cheddar Cheese, reserve 1/2 cup for top
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven to 350° OR you can bake this in a casserole slow cooker.
- Spray 9 x 13 glass baking dish, or casserole slow cooker, with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place cubed washed potatoes in the bottom of your baking dish.
- Top with thawed, frozen vegetables.
- In a medium skillet, over medium heat, saute sliced beef smoked sausage, onions, and sweet peppers until onions and peppers are tender and sausage is slightly brown.
- Place Sausage mixture on top of Vegetables in baking dish.
- In the same medium skillet, over medium heat, melt 4 Tablespoons of butter. Whisk in 3 Tablespoons of flour until thick paste forms.
- Add 2 cups of milk. Whisking constantly until mixture thickens.
- Add 1 4oz. pouch of Velveeta Cheese and 1 1/2 cups of grated cheese. Stir until smooth and cheese has melted to create a rich cheese sauce Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Pour Cheese sauce over ingredients in baking dish. Top with remaining 1/2 cup grated cheese.
- Cover with foil if baking in oven. Place Slow cooker lid on top of dish if baking in your slow cooker.
- Cook in Oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350° stir, gently, half way through baking. Remove foil for last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Cook on LOW for 4 hours if using your casserole slow cooker, or until potatoes are tender. Stir, gently, half way through baking.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 557Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 107mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 29g