This Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a Meat Lover’s dream morning, or evening, meal come true! Golden Brown Tater Tots are topped with bacon, ham, sausage, eggs and lots of cheese! It’s a fantastic start to any day and perfect for large family gatherings!
There are a lot of egg and ham tater tot casseroles out there…but I wanted to give the menfolk at this Nest something they could really sink their teeth into!
A tater tot breakfast casserole with ham is party enough! However… add all their breakfast favorites…like Sausage, Bacon, and Cheese…well then this isn’t just another Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole! Nope! It’s truly a hearty breakfast and perfect for a large crowd.
This breakfast casserole can be made ahead of time for a quick easy morning feast! Serve it with my favorite Bakery-Style Fresh Cranberry Orange Streusel Muffins or Breakfast Blueberry Muffins ,and a platter of fresh fruit for a scrumptious easy start to your day!
What You’ll Need for Loaded Breakfast Casserole
- 1-lb Breakfast sausage – You can also use Italian sausage if you’d like a little more “kick” to your dish.
- 1 Cup cubed ham
- 1 ½ Cup Bacon Crumbles-divided
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese – You can also use Pepper Jack, Gouda, or Colby Jack.
- 10 large eggs
- ¾ Cup Milk
- ½ teaspoon salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder – any or all are optional depending on your personal taste. I say the more the merrier!
- 32 oz. package frozen Tater Tots – You can use country potatoes in this dish if you prefer them over the tater tots. I LOVE the way this casserole tastes with the Tater Tots and highly recommend using them.
- ½ cup of diced green onions- you can substitute with 3 Tablespoons chopped chives if you prefer, or parsley.
How to Make Loaded Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, brown and crumble sausage. Place sausage on a paper towel lined plate. Drain fat from skillet. Cook bacon, in same skillet, until crispy. Place cooked bacon on a separate paper towel lined plate. Cool. Crumble, or chop, bacon.
Add frozen Tater Tots to prepared 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with cooked sausage. (Already this is a dish that your kids will like!)
NOTE: If you like your Tater Tots crispy you can bake them on a baking sheet for 10 minutes per side before adding them to the casserole. It’s an extra step, but worth your time if your a member of the Crispy Tater Tots of America Club!
Add 1 Cup diced ham, 1 cup bacon crumbles, and shredded cheese. Set aside while you make the egg mixture. (In other words…ignore it for a few minutes…like I do with my goal to not have a Dr Pepper…you know it’s not gonna happen, but you make the goal anyway!)
Creating the Egg Mixture for Tater Tot Casserole
In a large bowl add 10 large eggs. (I recommend cracking them first and tossing the shells…makes it a little easier to eat this casserole!)
Add ¾ a cup of milk, ½ teaspoons salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.
Using a wire whisk, mix until well combined.
Pour evenly over Tater Tots, meats and cheese. Egg mixture will sink to the bottom. It will rise during baking, so no worries my friends.
Sprinkle the top of the casserole with diced green onions and more crumbled bacon bits. You can never have too much bacon! (I think this is my life’s motto?!!)
Baking Egg Tater Tot Casserole
Place casserole in preheated 350°F and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove baked casserole from oven. Cut into 12 squares and serve with sour cream, salsa, or as is!
That’s a whole lot of YUM sitting in that casserole dish! Breakfast never looked so good… or made the men at this Nest so happy!
This really is a delicious Tater Tot Breakfast! I’m a sucker for anything that remotely tastes like a loaded baked potato…and this is THAT…and more!
Don’t be apprehensive about making this Breakfast Casserole with Tater Tots and eggs for dinner! I made this for supper one night…and it disappeared in minutes.
Breakfast for dinner is always one of my favorites! Eggs are a great source of protein and still pretty cost effective on our food budgets!
Frequently Asked Questions about this Breakfast Casserole
- Do I have to use all the meats in this recipe? No! You can completely omit the meats, with the exception of the eggs, if you’re not a meat lover! I will warn that it will change the depth of flavors in this dish. The reason being…FAT is FLAVOR! It’s the one reason we all love bacon and sausage. So keep that in mind and maybe season your egg mixture a little bit more.
- Do I have to use Tater Tots or can I substitute with hash browns? You can substitute Hash browns for the Tater Tots. You will need one package frozen country or shredded hash browns to replace the the 32 oz. bag of Tater Tots.
- Can this casserole be made ahead of time? Yes you can make the casserole the night before, cover it, and remove it in the morning 30 minutes before baking. Because of the eggs in this recipe, do not make this casserole more than the evening ahead of the morning you want to serve it.
- Can I use an egg substitute in this dish? Yes! Just substitute for the exact number of eggs in the recipe an don’t forget to add the seasonings!
- Can this dish be reheated? Yes! It reheats beautifully by the slice, in the microwave, on high 1-2 minutes depending on your microwave.
Other Favorite Breakfast Recipes
- Easy Cinnamon Cruffin Recipe
- Breakfast Ranchero Egg Bake Casserole
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Danish
- Country Skillet Breakfast Scramble
- Blueberry Brioche French Toast Bake
- Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Croissant Sandwiches from Julia’s Simply Southern
Thank you for stopping by today and visiting with me! I hope you, your family and friends enjoy this recipe. The free printable is below!
- 32 ounce package frozen tater tots
- 1-lb breakfast sausage, browned and crumbled
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1½ cups crumbled bacon - divided
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- ¾ Cup milk
- 10 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ garlic powder
- ½ onion powder
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown sausage and crumble. Drain sausage on a paper towel lined plate. Dispose of grease. Brown bacon in same skillet. Place bacon on paper towel lined plate. Crumble.
- Place frozen Tater Tots in prepared 9 x 13 baking dish. Top with sausage, ham, and 1 cup of bacon. Top with grated cheese.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk until well combined. Pour egg mixture over Tater Tots, meat, and cheese. Sprinkle with additional ½ cup bacon and green onions.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes until a knife in the center of the casserole comes out clean. Cut into 12 squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Large Bread Basket for Serving Set - 12x9” Wicker Basket with Removable Liner and Cover Bread Storage and Bread Serving Basket for Homemade Sourdough Bread. Pantry and Fruit Basket by Artizanka
Lenox 830143 Holiday Serving Platter, Red & Green, 4.05 LB
GreenLife Bakeware Healthy Ceramic Nonstick, 13" x 9" Rectangular Cake Baking Pan, PFAS-Free, Turquoise
Amazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set - 3-Piece
Mixer Sliding Mat for KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Kitchen Appliance Slide Mats Pad Mixer Mover Mixer Slider for KitchenAid 4.5-5 Qt Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, KitchenAid Artisan Tilt-Head Mixer ( 1 Pack)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 495Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 229mgSodium: 1244mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 26g