Fresh Raspberry Sauce is swirled with lemony cream cheese and placed on top of store bought flaky puff pastry to create an easy, and delicious, Danish breakfast treat!
Early mornings call for decadent pastries. Doesn’t matter the day of the week…they just seem to say “Morning Sunshine! You got this!” (Okay maybe not…but, they make me feel better first thing in the morning!)
I know how intimidating making breakfast pastries can be! Scary stuff pastry! Not to mention extremely time-consuming to make. Which is exactly why I use store bought puff pastry in this recipe. Because making pastry from scratch scares me too!
What I love about this recipe, is that it creates one of the BEST Danishes. Mr. Nest ate 4 of these! That’s saying something friends because he is not a big sweets eater. He does love a Cream Cheese Danish from Starbuck’s every once in a while, but he’s never really loved one with fruit. So I consider this recipe a HUGE success!
This Danish recipe gives you the best of both worlds. A fruity Danish and a Cream Cheese Danish, all in one! Warm and fresh from the oven.
Let’s get baking!
What you’ll need to make Raspberry Cream Cheese Danish
- 1 (17.3 ounce box) frozen Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed
- 1 cup Fresh Raspberries
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar (divided in half), plus more for dusting
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Lemonade, Limeade, or water
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, juiced or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 large egg plus one yolk
How To Make Raspberry Cream Danish
In a medium size sauce pan, over medium heat, add 1 cup fresh raspberries, 3 Tablespoons of Sugar, 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch, and 2 Tablespoons juice or water.
Stir to combine ingredients.
TIP: This step can be skipped, and you can use Raspberry Jam in place of the fresh Raspberry Sauce.
Stir continually until sugar dissolves, and mixture begins to boil and thicken. Mixture should resemble a raspberry jam. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Note: Seeds may be removed. I’m a fan of the seeds, and doing what’s easy. So the seeds stayed!
How to Make Danish Cream Cheese Filling
In a medium size bowl add softened cream cheese, 3 Tablespoons sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract, the juice of half a lemon and egg yolk.
With an electric hand mixer, combine cream cheese filling ingredients until smooth and creamy. (Just like my face…when I was 9 months old! Moving along…)
TIP: This mixes together very easily if the cream cheese is softened. You can soften cream cheese in the microwave for 30–40 seconds if necessary.
Puff Pastry Preparation for Danishes
Unfold thawed sheets of puff pastry. I used a large sheet of puff pastry that comes in a single roll. However, most come two to a package, frozen. You’ll need both sheets for this recipe.
Puff pastry is rolled in a sheet of parchment paper. If not, place on a lightly floured surface. Gently go over the pastry with a floured rolling pin. Lightly roll to work out the folds in the dough.
With a pizza cutter, cut puff pastry into 4 equal squares. 4 squares per sheet, or if you’re using a longer sheet of puff pastry, like I did, cut 8 equal rectangles.
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, or silicone mat. Create an “egg wash” by whipping one egg until light and frothy.
Fold corners of each rectangle, about 1 inch, towards the center of the puff pastry and press down to create an octagon.
Place each square of pastry on the baking sheet, leaving at least 1 inch in between each square.
Place about 2 Tablespoons of cream cheese mixture in the center of the puff pastry square. Do not spread!
Top each dollop of cream cheese mixture with 2 teaspoons of raspberry sauce. Don’t worry about the cream cheese filling running off the puff pastry.
Using a fork, swirl the raspberry sauce around in the cream cheese filling. Just a couple little swirls will do! Don’t go swirl crazy!! Ribbons of raspberry sauce through the cream cheese filling is what you want.
Isn’t that beautiful?! You just can’t beat the fresh raspberry sauce in this recipe.
Brush all the edges and folded corners, with the egg wash. This will give them a beautiful glossy finish.
Dust each Danish with granulated sugar. (Sprinkle a little over you…we all need a little sweetening!)
Baking Puff Pastry Danishes
Preheat oven to 400 °F.
Place baking sheet in the center of the oven. Bake for 18 minutes until the pastry has puffed, and is golden brown. The cream cheese will be set around the edges.
Remove baking sheet from oven. Place Danish on cooling rack to slightly cool, before face planting into one of these delicious discs of happiness!
Isn’t this plate full of light crispy layers of golden buttery puff pastry filled with sweet cream cheese and tart raspberry filling inviting?
TIP: They can be made a day ahead of time, and stored in an airtight container. I prefer them warm, just slightly cooled, right out of the oven.
Other Favorite Breakfast Bread and Danish Recipes
- Bakery Style Almond Poppy-Seed Muffins
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pecan Streusel Bread
- Buttermilk Bar Doughnuts
- Cherry Lemon Danish Braid
- Cherry Cream Cheese Knots
- Easy Cinnamon Cruffin Recipe
- Cheese Danish from the N.Y. Times
- Homemade Sausage Bread Recipe from Julia’s Simply Southern
Thanks so much for stopping by and visiting with me today! I hope you enjoy this easy to make Danish Recipe.
- 1 (17.3 ounce box) puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 6 Tablespoons sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoon Lemonade, Limeade, or Water
- 8 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 large egg plus 1 yolk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat, add fresh raspberries, 3 Tablespoons Sugar, 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch, 2 Tablespoons juice or water.
- Stir constantly until sugars dissolve and mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a medium size bowl, combine softened cream cheese, 3 Tablespoons of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla 1/2 lemon juiced and egg yolk. Mix with electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy and smooth.
- Lay out 2 sheets of puff pastry and cut into 4 squares for a total of 8. Fold the corners of the squares over by about 1 inch to make octagon shapes. Spoon the cream cheese mixture evenly into the center of each (about 2 tablespoons per); do not spread cream cheese. Add 1-2 teaspoon raspberry sauce on top of cream cheese mixture and swirl with a fork. Brush all the exposed pastry with the egg wash, then dust generously with sugar.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven until puffed and golden brown all over, about 18 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Wire Cooling Rack for Oven Cooking and Baking, Dishwasher-Safe, 100% Stainless Steel Set - Food-Safe, Heavy Duty 11.5 x 16.5-inch - Half Sheet Pan Size
Wilton Easy Layers Sheet Cake Pan, 2-Piece Set, Rectangle Steel Sheet Pan
Puricon Precut Parchment Paper for Baking Cooking, 12" X 16" Parchment Paper Unbleached Cookie Baking Sheets Flat Nonstick Pan Liners -60 Sheets
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g