Mississippi Pot Roast is slow cooked with homemade Au Jus mix, Ranch dressing, and pepperoncini’s…serve it up on a bed of creamy garlic cheddar mashed potatoes!
For the last few years I’ve stood on the sidelines and watched the hoopla over this dish called “Mississippi Pot Roast”. Other than adding a few pepperoncini’s I couldn’t figure out what the big deal was!
The other day I decided to give it a try! (I’m always late to the party…but I still want to come!) I’m so glad I showed up too! The flavors in this dish are amazing and truly I never would have thought of this combination…not ever!
This dish has just a few ingredients in addition to the Roast beef. One packet of Ranch dressing, 1/2 a jar of pepperoncini, 1/2 a cup of pepperoncini juice, and a packet of Au Jus Gravy Mix. As I got ready to make this dish I realized I didn’t have a packet of Au Just mix! It’s just not something I generally have on hand.
So I went to work…and created my own Au Jus Gravy Mix. It’s super easy to make and works as a great substitute for the real deal!
How To Make Homemade Au Jus Gravy Mix
In a small food processor add 4 Tablespoons beef bullion granules (or 12 cubes…but ain’t no one got time for unwrapping those annoying things! Gads nothing makes me crazier than how tightly wrapped those bullion cubes are! A few may have gone flying across the kitchen at this nest!)
Add 4 teaspoons onion powder, 2 teaspoons dried parsley, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 4 Tablespoons cornstarch.
Process in food processor until mix is a fine powder!
4 1/2 teaspoons of the mix equals 1 package of Au Jus mix that you would find in stores! A quick simple fix and so much better for you than the stuff you buy in the store!
How To Make Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
Let’s get to the “meat” of this recipe! (Oh I went there my friends…the queen of puns is back!)
In the bottom of a slow cooker place 3-4 pounds of beef chuck roast.
TIP: I used frozen Costco Beef Stew meat! It makes shredding so much easier!
Sprinkle 1 packet of Ranch dressing mix and 1 packet of au jus mix on top of chuck roast!
Add 1/2 a 16 ounce jar of pepperoncini and 1/2 a cup of the pepperoncini juice. Why do you want to add the juice from the pepperoncini? Besides the additional flavor…the vinegar in the marinade helps break down the enzymes of the meat!
TIP: You can use whole or sliced pepperoncini. I had sliced on hand and so that is what I used. The nice thing about sliced pepperoncini is that they break down during the cooking and mix in with the meat adding even more flavor!
Add 2 Tablespoons butter, cut into pieces. This is optional. If you don’t want the added calories you can leave the butter out. I love the additional flavor so it stays at this Nest!
Cook on low for 7 – 8 hours. Remove the meat only, not the juices, from the slow cooker at hour 7. Turn the crock pot to high! While it is heating up…Break the meat down into smaller pieces. Cover and keep warm.
In a measuring cup add 1/4 cup corn starch and 1/2 cup water, stir until smooth. Add cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker juices, stirring with a whisk. Cover and allow juices to thicken…stirring occasionally.
Hot To Make Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
While the roast is still cooking, peel 6-8 large russet potatoes!
Cut into big chunks and place in large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. When potatoes are tender, drain, mash with a potato masher or break up with hand mixer.
Add 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup butter. Blend until creamy.
If still too dry add additional milk until desired consistency is reached. Add 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined and cheese is melted.
Place a big serving of garlic cheddar mashed potatoes on a plate, top with that tender juicy slow cooker Pot Roast and drizzle with the gravy. Top with chopped fresh parsley and serve!
Mississippi Pot Roast with Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes! Simply put…and to keep with our theme…it’s a party in your mouth!
So many wonderful flavors shine in this dish! From the loaded mashed potatoes to the melt-in-your-mouth pot roast with that pepperoncini ranch au jus gravy! It’s lip smackin’ delicious!
Serve with a green salad and some homemade biscuits…you have dinner!! One the whole family will love!
If you like this Slow Cooker Roast dish try these other Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Layered Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Hot Open Faced Roast Beef Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Beefy Gravy and Noodles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
Thanks so much for stopping by! I hope this Mississippi Pot Roast with Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes becomes a favorite at your Nest!
Mississippi Pot Roast With Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
Tender juicy roast beef slow cooked with ranch dressing and homemade au jus gravy mix, pepperoncini's, and served on top a bed of garlic cheddar mashed potatoes.
- 3-4 lbs. beef chuck roast
- 1 packet Ranch Mix
- 1 packet or 4 1/2 teaspoons of Au Jus Mix
- 1/2 jar pepperoncini
- 1/2 jar pepperoncini juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter, sliced
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
Au Jus Gravy Mix
- 4 Tablespoons beef bullion granules
- 4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 Tablespoons cornstarch
Garlic Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- 6-8 large russet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cubed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- In a small food processor add beef bullion, onion powder, parsley flakes, black pepper, garlic powder, and cornstarch. Process or blend until mix is a fine powder. Store excess in air tight container.
- Place chuck roast in bottom of slow cooker. Top with ranch mix, au jus mix, 1/2 jar pepperoncinis and 1/2 cup of pepperoncinis juice. Top with sliced butter if desired.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours. At 7 hours remove and shred roast beef. Cover to keep warm. Turn slow cooker to high.
- In a measuring cup, or small bowl, combine 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup cornstarch. Mix until smooth. Add to juices in slow cooker. Stir well. Cover and cook 1 hour or until juices are thickened. Stirring occasionally.
- In large pot add cubed potatoes. Fill pot with water until potatoes are covered. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook until tender. Drain water from potatoes. Mash potatoes with hand mixer or potato masher. Add 1/4 cup butter and milk. Combine until creamy. If too dry add additional milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Add garlic salt and grated cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Top mashed potatoes with shredded pot roast and top with gravy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2824Total Fat: 161gSaturated Fat: 70gTrans Fat: 9gUnsaturated Fat: 79gCholesterol: 812mgSodium: 1324mgCarbohydrates: 104gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 242g