*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Crispy Parmesan Oven Fried Chicken is a retro dish that has been around forever! (Just like me! lol) It can be made with boneless skinless chicken or bone-in with the skin. It’s tender and juicy inside, crispy and crunchy outside! A quick and easy dinner, made with ingredients your sure to have on hand.
I’ve been digging through my collection of old family favorite recipes. The other day I ran across this family favorite. Mom used to make this with whole cut up chicken. It was fantastic and one of the first recipes I made as a new bride!
I’ve updated it by using boneless skinless chicken breast!
Remember…you can use any type of chicken. (That sounds funny to me? Like we are categorizing chickens!… “All the nice chickens line up over here! You bully chickens…over there! You’re in time-out till you can play nice!” “California Chickens…you’re a little too tan…you go over there to the dark side of the room! New York Chickens…that attitude isn’t gonna fly around here!” lol)
How To Make Crispy Parmesan Chicken
In a large zip lock bag place 1 1/2 cups corn flakes.
This will give us the 3/4 a cup of “crushed” flakes we need. I find using a zip lock freezer bag makes this easier.
Using a rolling-pin crush corn flakes!
I openly admit I love any time I get to “crush” things in the kitchen! It’s the BEST therapy ever invented!
Great-Grandma never had a shrink! Why? She took all her frustrations out on dinner! Plucking chickens! Kneading bread? Ripping the ends off green beans!
Don’t you tell me she wasn’t thinking of Grandpa leaving his socks on the floor, or how Aunt Martha pushed her buttons at the last family dinner! Just sayin’… Now go after those corn flakes!!!
In a shallow dish, I like to use a pie plate, add 3/4 cup corn flake crumbs, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese.
TIP: You can add other flavorings such as garlic salt, onion powder, parsley flakes, basil…I decided to stick with the original recipe. Just know you can get as creative as you like.
Mix until well combined. Set aside.
In another shallow dish mix together 1 egg, and 2 Tablespoons of buttermilk. Mix with wire whisk until well blended.
TIP: You can substitute buttermilk with regular milk.
Wash and pat dry chicken breasts! (Think of it as their final “spa day”!)
Dip chicken in egg wash, coating evenly.
Roll chicken in Corn flake Parmesan mixture. Pressing down to coat well. Flip over and repeat on other side.
Place chicken in prepared 9 x 13 glass baking dish coated with non-stick cooking spray.
Continue dipping and coating chicken until all pieces are covered. Take remaining crumb mixture and press down on top of chicken pieces.
If you are using boneless skinless chicken breast like I did, melt 4 Tablespoons of butter and drizzle over the top of each chicken breast.
TIP: If you are using bone-in chicken with the skin on you can skip this step. The fat in the chicken skin will render out of the skin during baking and crisp the coating!
Bake in preheated 350° oven for about 1 hour or until tender. Cooking times may vary depending on whether you are using whole chicken or chicken breasts. So watch your cook time.
DO NOT COVER OR TURN CHICKEN while baking!
Once juices are running clear and coating is crispy, remove chicken from oven. Allow to rest 10 minutes so chicken will retain it’s juices.
Additional TIPS & Reminders for the Perfect Crispy Parmesan Oven Fried Chicken
- You can cut chicken Breast in half-length wise and use a meat tenderizer to create a wonderful chicken fillet with this recipe that can be used in chicken sandwiches or as an alternative main dish.
- You can use whole cut up skin on chicken to create an amazing oven fried chicken. Your bake time may be a little longer depending on the size of your chicken.
- Wash and pat your chicken dry. This will allow the coatings to adhere better.
- Do NOT cover or turn chicken over during cooking.
- You can add additional seasonings to suit your own tastes.
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes to retain juices before cutting or eating.
- Cook times may vary depending on whether you are using whole chicken or boneless chicken breasts.
There ya have it! A fantastic quick and easy chicken dish…just like Grandma made! (Cause it was her recipe!)
Serve this Crispy Parmesan Oven Fried Chicken with a big tossed garden salad, rolls and a baked potato, or even better yet…a casserole dish full of my Easy Cheesy Party Potatoes!
It’s a dinner dish that is sure to please even the pickiest eaters at your Nest! I know because the picky eater at this Nest loves this chicken!
Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram! You can also sign-up for my bi-weekly Newsletter, where I share all the latest recipes from my Nest!
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast, OR 3 lbs frying chicken pieces
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons buttermilk, or regular milk
- 1 1/2 cups corn flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray 9 x 13 glass baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Wash and dry chicken thoroughly.
- In a shallow dish, like a pie plate, mix together 1 slightly beaten egg and 2 Tablespoons of buttermilk. Mix with wire whisk until well combined.
- Place 1 1/2 cups of corn flakes in a large freezer zip lock bag. Using a rolling pin, crush corn flakes to a fine crumb.
- Place 3/4 cup corn flake crumbs into another shallow dish. Add salt, pepper, and Parmesan Cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Dip chicken in egg wash until well coated. Roll in corn flake mixture until all sides of the chicken are coated.
- Drizzle top of coated chicken with melted butter. (If using whole bone-in chicken you can skip this step.)
- Place in prepared baking dish. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 1 hour or until juices run clear.
- Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 piece of chicken
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 602Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 323mgSodium: 803mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 77g