This Buttery Crispy Cinnamon and Cardamom Sugar Cookie with it’s Browned Butter Cream Filling is the perfect Summer-to-Fall Transition Cookie! They’re also perfect for this year’s Christmas Cookie Exchange!
Several years ago I posted my recipe for Easy Pumpkin Pie and in the process of creating that recipe I discovered the amazing flavor of Cardamom!
Now every Fall I skip through the kitchen sprinkling every baked good with Cardamom! (Not really, but it sounds really festive doesn’t it?!)
The sweet citrus peppery spice of Cardamom adds a depth of warmth to Fall baked goods! I’m sure there are folks out there who aren’t fans of Cardamom…but you won’t find one at this Nest!
I love how it enhances the flavor of every recipe you bake this time of year!
When I found a buttery sugar cookie that has Cardamom as the “main attraction”…it was a must bake for my Christmas Cookie Tray last year! You’re going to love this wonderful afternoon tea cookie dunker! (I don’t actually like tea…but we don’t talk about that openly out of respect for my English ancestors!)
What You’ll Need for your Shopping List
- Brown Sugar, 1 Cup
- Butter, 1 Cup softened
- Egg, just one!
- All-purpose Flour, 2 Cups
- Cardamom – 1 teaspoon (Note you can substitute Cardamom with Allspice and Nutmeg. I wouldn’t…but you can.)
- Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – ¼ Cup
- Butter, 2 Tablespoons, unsalted is best, if you have it.
- Powdered Sugar – 1¼ Cups
- Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- Milk – 4–5 teaspoons
How To Make Cardamom Sandwich Cookies
In a large bowl, or the bowl of your mixer, combine brown sugar and 1 cup of softened butter.
Beat until light and fluffy. (I love fluffy! It’s my middle name!) Add 1 large egg; blend well.
Add 2 cups All-Purpose Flour, 1 teaspoon cardamom, and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix well!
This is a very simple basic cookie dough! Which is just one reason I love this recipe.
Remove the dough from the mixer, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 1 hour for easier handling!
TIP: You don’t have to chill this dough, however, I HIGHLY recommend it. Especially since this is a pressed cookie, and you want that design to “pop”.
Preparing the Cookies for Baking
Preheat oven to 350 °F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. You’ll be tempted to make them bigger…but don’t! Remember this is a sandwich cookie, and you don’t want them too big or two thick!
Roll the cookie balls in sugar!
Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets lined with silicone baking sheets or parchment paper.
For each cookie, dip bottom of glass with textured base in sugar; gently press down to flatten dough ball and form a 1½-inch round.
Tip: If you don’t have a glass with a textured base you can use a fork or any cookie press you may have.
Bake pressed cookies at 350° for 6 to 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Don’t they press beautifully!
I truly love this recipe for its simplicity, beauty, and tastes. Fantastic results every time!
Immediately remove cookie sheets from the oven. Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled.
How To Make Browned Butter Cream Filling
In a medium sauce pan, over medium heat; melt 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter. Cook until light golden brown, stirring constantly to prevent the butter from burning.
What is Browned Butter?
Brown butter, also known by the fancy name of “Beurre Noisette”, is made by cooking unsalted butter long enough to turn the milk solids brown while cooking out any water present in the butter. It is generally described as tasting “nutty” or “toasty”, it has a deeper, richer, more intense flavor.
Remove from heat. Before adding the powder sugar, stir with a wire whisk to break up any lumps. We want a smooth creamy filling for these beautiful cookies.
Stir in all remaining filling ingredients, including that lump free powder sugar! Add enough milk for desired spreading consistency.
For each sandwich cookies, spread about 1-2 teaspoon filling between 2 cooled cookies.
Fill up that cookie plate with a pile of these delectable Cardamom Cookies and find yourself that glass of milk! These cookies are going to up your Santa Christmas Eve Cookie game!
They’re crispy and sweet. They’ll remind you of a spicy snicker doodle filled with a nutty cream filling! How could you go wrong?!! Are you a snicker doodle fan? I am! YUM!
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Can these cookies be made ahead? Yes they can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to two months. Layer them between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container. If you hold off on filling them, they can be frozen for up to four months when sealed in an airtight container.
- Can the Cardamon be substituted with another spice? Yes! You could substitute allspice or nutmeg.
- What if I can’t find a glass with a textured bottom? It’s easy to create an assortment of pretty cookies. You can use decorative cookie stamps at a cookware store. You can flatten them with a fork, or a meat mallet.
- Can I add other flavors to the filling? YES! Orange zest would be amazing in this filling! Get creative with your flavors. Maple is another great idea for this Cardamom Cookie.
- Does this recipe make 24 sandwich cookies or 48? This recipe makes 24, or 2 dozen sandwich cookies. You will have 48 individual cookies which when filled and “sandwiched” together will give you a total of 24 cookies.
Other Favorite Christmas Cookie Recipes
- Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies
- Raspberry Pistachio Thumb Print Cookies
- Holiday Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- Spiced Gingerbread Men Cookies
- Gingersnap Molasses Cookies
- Christmas Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Chocolate Cherry Almond Cookies from Julia’s Simply Southern
Thanks for stopping by and visiting with me today! If you’re a cookie monster like I am…you’ll love this new cookie recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 4 - 5 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of your mixer, combine brown sugar and 1 cup butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add egg; blend well. Add flour, cardamom and cinnamon; mix well. If necessary cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 1 hour for easier handling. Highly recommend chilling before handling.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets lined with silicone baking mats or parchment paper. For each cookie, dip bottom of glass with textured base in sugar; flatten dough ball to form 1½-inch round.
- Bake at 350°F. for 6 to 10 minutes or until firm to the touch. Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool 15 minutes or until completely cooled on cooling rack.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in medium sauce pan over medium heat; cook until light golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in all remaining filling ingredients, adding enough milk for desired spreading consistency. For each sandwich cookie, spread about 1 teaspoon filling between 2 cooled cookies. You will have 24 filled sandwich cookies.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pearhead Christmas Cookies for Santa Plate, Milk Jug and Dear Notepad Set, Holiday Gift Collection
Blue Donuts Vintage Cookie Jar - Cookie Jars for Kitchen Counter, Airtight Jar Cookie Containers, Ivory Cookie Tin, Cookie Tins with Lids for Gift Giving, Large Cookie Jar
ROTORS Wooden Animal Cookie Molds,Press Type Cookie Cutter With 3D Hen, Bird,Rabbit,Fish Design,Wood Biscuit Molds With Good Wishes for Baking (Bird)
Bremen Home, Traditional Wooden Cookie, Cake & Pastry Maamoul Mold Press Round Style Middle Eastern Cookie Mold, Greased
Checkered Chef Cooling Rack - Set of 2 Stainless Steel, Oven Safe Grid Wire Racks for Cooking & Baking - 8” x 11 ¾"
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 196Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 67mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 1g