Delicious, light and fluffy! This Pumpkin Cake is the taste of Fall in every delicious bite! Topped with a creamy smooth Cream Cheese Frosting it will disappear as quickly as the falling leaves!
I used to hold a Craft Boutique in my home every Fall, the weekend of the Deer Hunt! One of our most popular items? Our homemade aprons.
My Aunt and I would find the cutest fabrics at our local fabric shop. One year we found this darling Fall fabric, on it was a recipe for Pumpkin Cake. I wondered if it was a “real” recipe? So for kicks and giggles I decided to make it!
Hot diggity dog! If it didn’t turn out to be the BEST Pumpkin cake I’d ever had! That was in 2001! Ever since it’s been an annual tradition to make “Apron Pumpkin Cake”. Who am I to argue with my Apron?!! (I will admit I’ve taken a few frustrations out on it from time to time! Poor thing.)
I had a reader ask about my cake plate. So I told her I’d share a photo. In case you are wondering I purchase all my cake plates from T.J. Maxx or Home Goods.
This cake plate was given to me by a dear friend, but she shops where I shop! lol (We have good taste like that!) I love this plate and the fact that you could even change out the ribbon makes me love it even more.
For this post I made this recipe a double layer 9 inch cake. However, I usually prepare this luscious cake in a 9 x 13 pan, throw the frosting on there, and call it good!
No need to be fancy and fussy around this nest! You can also use this recipe to make delicious cupcakes for parties!
How To Make Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Preheat Oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 pan or two 9 inch round cake pans. In your mixer bowl, with the paddle attachment, mix 1 and 2/3 cups sugar, 4 eggs, 1 cup of vegetable oil, 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree.
Mix together on medium speed until blended, about 3 minutes.
In a medium bowl mix together 2 Cups flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, 2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda.
Mix with a wire whisk to blend all the dry ingredients.
Add to “wet” ingredients and mix on medium speed.
Mix until well blended and smooth.
TIP: When making this into a two layer cake I line the cake pans with parchment paper. It will allow the cakes to come out easily with very little “crumb”.
Pour cake batter into prepared 9 x 13 pan. If making a two layer cake divide the batter evenly between the two pans.
Place in preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until top springs back when gently pressed.
Place on a cooling rack and cool completely.
While the cake is cooling, whip up cream cheese frosting. In your mixing bowl mix together 3 oz. of cream cheese, 1 stick of soften butter until fluffy. Add in 1 teaspoon vanilla and 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar.
NOTE: If making a double layer cake you will need to double the frosting.
Frost the cake when cool.
Although I generally make this in a 9 x 13 pan, I do love how pretty this looks in a double layer.
This cake is moist and tender. It has a subtle cinnamon taste mixed into all that yummy pumpkin. The smooth creamy frosting melts in your mouth and compliments this pumpkin cake so beautifully.
I secretly love this cake chilled! That’s just my personal preference. It’s delicious no matter how you serve it. My non-loving pumpkin man was caught red-handed eating more than one slice of this delightful dessert!
I hope sometime this Season you’ll find time to make this “Apron Pumpkin Cake” for your Nest! I know they’ll be finger dabbing up every last crumb!
I hope you’ll enjoy the beauties of this season…including all the desserts!
If you enjoyed this recipe you’ll love these other delicious Cake Recipes
- World’s Best Vanilla Cake
- Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Rhubarb Crumb Coffee Cake
- The Best Dark Chocolate Cake with chocolate buttercream
- Worlds Best Carrot Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Dump Cake
- Pumpkin Walnut Cake with Orange Glaze
For all the latest YUM I’m planning this Fall… be sure to follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can of pumpkin
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 oz. soften cream cheese
- 1 stick of soften butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Cups of Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9 x 13 pan or two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In a mixing bowl with the paddle attachment mix 1 2/3 cups sugar, 4 eggs, 1 Cup Vegetable Oil, 1 (15 ounce) can pure pumpkin.
- Mix on medium speed until well blended and smooth. About 3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, with a wire whisk, mix together 2 Cups of Flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon baking soda.
- Add to "wet" ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until center springs back when gently pressed with your finger.
- Place on a cooling rack until cool.
- Frost when cool. Serve.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In your mixer mix together cream cheese and 1 stick of butter until fluffy. Add 1 tsp. vanilla and 2 cups of sifted powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and creamy!
- *if you're making a double layer cake double the frosting.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Round Cake Stand 11.7" Cake Display Stand Dessert Cupcake Display Tray for Graduation,Wedding,Birthday,Party,Anniversary,Ceremony(1Pack, White)
Chicago Metallic Professional Non-Stick Round Cake Pan, 8-Inch
KitchenAid KP26M1XCE 6 Qt. Professional 600 Series Bowl-Lift Stand Mixer - Copper Pearl (Renewed)
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 538Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 89mgSodium: 470mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 47gProtein: 5g