Fresh Green Bean Casserole is loaded with fresh tender green beans, bacon, mushrooms, green onions, croutons, and a creamy garlic dill sauce with lots of melted cheese! It’s truly the most delicious side dish EVER!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
True confessions! We not huge fans of the traditional canned green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup and all those crunchy onion things at this Nest! (The previous sentence could be totally understated! My actual feelings are much stronger.)
However, there are also very strong opinions at this house over how to prepare green beans.
I love green beans. I love them steamed…or gussied up. I love them canned, frozen, or fresh. I love green beans and ham! (Sorry I couldn’t resist) However, the “mister” at this Nest will only eat “fresh” green beans, and only if they are slathered in bacon and onions. He is not a fan of the “plain” green bean. (Poor green beans…so picked on at this Nest!)
One thing we can agree on…traditional green bean casserole is not our favorite Holiday recipe. I know there are lovers of the canned green bean casserole and I get it. It’s tradition. So is Fruit Cake.
When I was looking for a new recipe for Thanksgiving this year, I ran across this Fresh Green Bean Casserole on Yummly. It had all the “Misters” required elements…Fresh Green Beans and bacon!
In addition it has quartered mushroom, green onions, croutons, and a scrumptious cream sauce with loads of melted cheese. I was a tad skeptical about the croutons…but I’m here to tell you…AMAZING!!!
How To Make Fresh Green Bean Casserole
Preheat oven to 350°
In a small bowl combine 2 cups sour cream, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon dill weed. I know this is a strange combination, but it’s works in this casserole.
Prepare fresh green beans by cutting off the tips and ends. Cut them into 1 1/2 inch lengths. You’ll need about 6 cups cut up green beans.
In a large sauce pan boil 6 cups of water. Add beans in batches, cook uncovered just until tender crisp. 2-3 minutes per batch should be long enough.
Drain beans after each batch and place in a large bowl. Aren’t those beans beautiful?! Nothing beats fresh green beans. I purchase mine at Costco! They have fantastic green beans.
Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces and cook over medium heat in a skillet until crisp. Place bacon on paper towel to drain.
Reserve 6 tablespoons of bacon fat. Add 1 pound quartered mushrooms. Add six chopped green onions and cook over medium heat.
Cook until mushrooms are tender about 4-6 minutes. Add 3 teaspoons minced garlic. Cook an additional minute.
Remove from heat and add to Green Beans. Add cooked bacon.
Now for the fun part…it’s a little bit crazy, but its so good!
Add 2 cups partially crushed onion and garlic croutons. I know this is going to make you pause and question this recipe…please trust me…they’re outstanding in this casserole.
Stir in the Sour Cream mixture. Mix until everything is well coated.
Place the green bean casserole mixture in an ungreased 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread mixture around evenly.
Cover the top of the casserole with 2 cups shredded Jack Cheese.
That’s it! We’re skipping the crunchy onion things on this dish. You won’t miss them! Don’t do it…this casserole doesn’t need it.
Bake in preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes. The cheese should be nice and bubbly with hints of golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
From the first scoop I knew we had a winner! The croutons cook up like stuffing in a rich cream sauce. The flavor from the mushrooms, onions and bacon take this casserole to places canned mushroom soup can only dream of!
All that scrumptious melted ooey-gooey jack cheese…beats crunchy onions any day of the week!
My entire family was in love at first bite! My nephews had seconds and thirds of this casserole! Twenty year old boys ate three servings of GREEN BEANS!!! MAKE THIS CASSEROLE! They declared it the best new recipe and a must have at all future family dinners!
Do you really need a better recommendation?! I don’t think so! This Fresh Green Bean Casserole with Bacon is going in the family recipe book for generations to come! It’s just that good!
I hope you’ll give this new recipe a try! You won’t be disappointed.
A few special cooking tips
- This casserole can be cooked in a casserole slow cooker on low for an hour and half to two hours. Place casserole dish in a 350° oven for 10 minutes to brown cheese.
- Green beans can be cooked ahead of time and chilled in refrigerator over night to make prep of this dish easier.
- Sour cream sauce can also be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to make.
- This casserole reheats beautifully in the microwave.
Other Delicious Holiday Side Dish Recipes
- Loaded Scalloped Potatoes For Two
- Best Sausage and Herb Stuffing
- Green and Gold Squash Casserole
- Asparagus with Feta and Walnuts
- Broccoli Puff Casserole
Thanks so much for stopping by my Nest today! I hope you’ll follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram where I share my recipes each and every day!
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 pounds, or 6 cups, fresh green beans, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 pound fresh mushroom, quartered
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups partially crushed onion & garlic croutons
- 2 cups shredded jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a medium bowl combine sour cream, sugar, salt, and dill weed. Mix well. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan boil 6 cups water. Add prepared green beans in batches. Cook uncovered just until crisp tender, 2-3 minutes per batch. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- In a skillet cook bacon pieces until crispy. Drain on paper towel. Reserve 6 tablespoon bacon fat. Add mushroom and chopped onions. Cook over medium heat until mushrooms are tender. 4-6 minutes. Add minced garlic. Cook an additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Add mushrooms to green beans. Add in bacon and crushed croutons. Stir in sour cream mixture until everything is well coated.
- Place in ungreased 13 x 9 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Potholders Set Trivets Set 100% Pure Cotton Thread Weave Hot Pot Holders Set (Set of 3) Stylish Coasters, Hot Pads, Hot Mats,Spoon Rest For Cooking and Baking by Diameter 7 Inches (Gray)
Baking Dishes, Krokori Rectangular Bakeware Set Ceramic Baking Pan Lasagna Pans for Cooking, Kitchen, Cake Dinner, Banquet and Daily Use, 13 x 9 Inches
Crock-Pot SCCPCCM350-BL Manual Slow Cooker, Navy Blue
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 19gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 1206mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 6gSugar: 13gProtein: 33g