*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Fresh Sweet Potatoes layered with Purple Potatoes, seasonings, and fresh Herbs baked in the oven till tender and full of flavor! A great Thanksgiving side dish that pairs beautifully with Turkey.
This is a simple delicious side dish recipe that I made to pair with my Roasted Cornish Hens...but honestly it would pair so beautifully with any fowl dish. From Cornish Game Hens to Roasted Turkey Breast.
The blend of sweet and savory is outstanding!! The fresh herbs, along with the spices, create a lovely subtle flavor. This is a no fuss, no muss, side dish recipe.
This dish serves 2, but can be easily double or tripled to accommodate more dinner guests. In case your wondering, and I know you are…yes purple potatoes are delicious! They are super creamy and mild…and taste…oddly enough…like a potato! (Yes, that was me practicing my Holiday Sarcasm!)
We grew purple potatoes in our Garden this year, it was an accident…but, regardless, I was excited to try them out…the colors in this dish make for a really impressive presentation.
So let’s get cooking!
How To Make Sweet Potato and Purple Potato Medley
Peel and slice one large Sweet potato.
Slice, but do not peel, one large Purple potato. If you can’t find a purple potato…you can use a Red or Yukon Gold Potato. I just don’t recommend you use Russets. You want a creamier potato for this dish and for that go with red or gold potatoes.
Place potatoes in a large zip lock bag.
TIP: If using purple potatoes you may want to place them in a separate bag so they don’t bleed purple into your beautiful orange sweet potatoes.
Drizzle potatoes with 4 Tablespoons Garlic infused Olive Oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings, salt and pepper to taste. Zip the bag shut and toss potatoes with olive oil and seasonings until the potato slices are coated. Shake that bag my friends!!!
Spray a small casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer potatoes, alternating between sweet potatoes and purple potatoes. It’s easiest to make two rows side by side, rather than trying to go around the dish in a circle.
Place 4 – 1 Tablespoon pats of butter on the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle the top of the potatoes with 2 Tablespoons cut fresh Thyme. Sprinkle with Garlic Salt. (About ¼ a teaspoon)
Cover with foil and bake in preheated 350° oven for 1 hour.
After 1 hour remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and drizzle with 1 Tablespoon melted butter.
This is a wonderfully easy dish…yet looks so gourmet and the flavor is outstanding! You can drizzle them with gravy or just serve them as is.
Other Favorite Holiday Side Dish Recipes
- Roasted Butternut Squash Medley Recipe
- Sweet Potato Pecan Casserole
- Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- Fresh Green Bean Casserole
- Bread Dumpling Slow Cooker Stuffing
As always thanks so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoy the simplicity of this recipe…and I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving Holiday this next week!
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 1 large purple potato, sliced
- 4 Tablespoons garlic infused olive oil, or regular Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoons cut fresh thyme
- 4 Tablespoons butter, cut into 1 Tablespoons pats
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon butter, melted
- Thyme and Rosemary Springs for Garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 10 inch oval baking dish with non-stick baking spray.
- Place sliced potatoes in a large zip lock bag. Drizzle with 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon Italian Seasonings, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Zip the bag closed and toss until potatoes are evenly coated with oil and seasonings.
- Layer potatoes, alternating between, sweet potatoes and purple potatoes, lying them in two rows next to each other. Place butter pats on top of potatoes, sprinkle with cut fresh thyme and ¼ teaspoon garlic salt.
- Cover with Foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove dish from oven and drizzle with 1 Tablespoons melted butter. Garnish with additional Thyme and Rosemary sprigs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spring Chef Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler
Rachael Ray Solid Glaze Ceramics EVOO Olive Oil Bottle Dispenser with Spout - 24 Ounce, Green
GORILLA GRIP Original Oversized Cutting Board, 3 Piece, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe, Juice Grooves, Larger Thicker Boards, Easy Grip Handle, Non Porous, Extra Large, Kitchen, Set of 3, Mint
STAUB Ceramics Oval Baking Dish, 9-inch, Rustic Ivory
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 626Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 625mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 7g