Tender Juicy Shrimp are marinated to perfection and tucked inside soft fried corn tortillas and topped with a luscious Cilantro Avocado Lime Crema for one AMAZING Taco delight!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Several years ago, I was watching Chef Rick Bayless on his show “One Plate At A Time”. He was preparing shrimp tacos for a party he was throwing. I was mesmerized! It had never occurred to me that you could put shrimp into a taco! Plus, let’s face it…Rick Bayless… is AWESOME!
Today my shell-fish taco stupor seems silly. Nowadays everyone is stuffing just about everything into a taco shell! The creative genius of some chefs out there is, and always has been, truly inspiring to me.
I knew I had to try to recreate a similar version to those shrimp tacos I saw Rick Bayless make. I have no illusions that this simple taco is nowhere near his! When it comes to Mexican food…that man can out cook the best of them! (I may have a slight fantasy of being invited to one of his amazing dinner parties! I’d be the fool in the corner just drooling!)
Since we’ve established I’m no “Rick”…let’s just say that these tacos are a really good “second” place runner-up! I went with a lightly marinated shrimp, seared quickly in a hot pan, reserving the juices, laid on a bed of fresh cabbage mix and cilantro, topped off with a cilantro avocado lime crema sauce, and Queso Fresco Cheese. I made these on the little “street taco” corn tortillas. (I felt less “piggish” eating 4 of these on the smaller shells…if that is possible.) You can use regular taco shells. You don’t have to have the smaller street taco size.
So let’s do this!
How To Make Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Avocado Lime Crema Sauce
In a bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt, juice from half a lime, 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro, chili powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. If you do not like heat…skip the cayenne pepper. Add in your peeled and deveined shrimp, and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to marry. (Cause they luv each other!….Sorry…couldn’t resist that opening!)
While the shrimp and the marinade are doing their “thang”…go ahead and make the Cilantro Avocado Lime Crema Sauce. This isn’t exact science friends. (That’s my way of saying…don’t stress this part of the recipe!) Squeeze the juice of one lime, Add 1/2 cup sour cream, a small handful of cilantro, about 2 Tablespoons…eyeball it…it’s okay if you go over or under. Add 1/2 a large avocado. Salt and Pepper to taste, 1/4 tsp cumin, a dash of garlic powder and chili powder. Blend on high until cilantro is chopped and all the ingredients are combined. Keep cold until ready to serve.
This crema sauce MAKES the tacos! That’s my nice way of saying “Don’t skip the sauce boss!”
In a skillet add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil. Cook shrimp on medium heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
Turn off heat and cover to keep warm. Whatever you do…do NOT get rid of all those delicious juices! That’s the “slap yo’ momma” sauce right there friends! (Only don’t really slap yo’ momma cause that’s wrong! ) Drizzled over the cabbage mix it’s just pure 100% heaven!
In a shallow skillet or griddle, drizzle with vegetable oil and “soft” fry the taco shells till lightly crispy. Normally when I make tacos I fill my taco frying skillet…(Yes… I have a taco frying skillet…it’s the gross one!)…with about 1/2 inch of oil and “deep fry” my shells. For these beautiful shrimp tacos we just want a light golden brown on them, and we want them flexible enough to bend. So just a few minutes on both side over medium high heat will work perfectly. You may have to keep adding a light coating of oil as you go.
Time to assemble these babies! I doubled the taco shells because I was using the “street tacos”. If you are using regular taco shells, one will work fine.
Line a taco shell with a pinch or two of cabbage mix, chopped cilantro, then layer with shrimp and a splash of those shrimp juices, drizzle with avocado lime cream sauce, and sneak in a slice of avocado.
Top it all off with a sprinkle of Ques Fresco and a few slices of lime! Can I have a “Hallelujah!” (Do I have you drooling yet?)
Bloggers Problem 185: I made these weeks ago and now I want them again! NOW!!! (Oh, and YES… Bloggers have so many quirky issues we have a secret handbook! Some day I’m going to have to do a post just about blogger life!)
I love the colors and flavors of this dish! The shrimp is tender and juicy. The seasonings are truly spectacular! That crunch of the cabbage mix and the creaminess of the Cilantro Avocado Lime Crema….Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Like I said…I’m no Chef Rick, and I’m sure I didn’t do everything in true “Mexican Cooking” fashion…but one mouthful of these beauties and I really didn’t care! My taste buds were just too busy having a Fiesta in my mouth to notice!
Hope you love these Shrimp Tacos as much as Mars and I did! Sometimes the two planets do line up! lol
Step out of the box and try these shrimp tacos. You’ll absolutely be glad you did! Anytime you make one of my dishes please share your photo’s with me on Instagram by using the hashtag #norinenest!
- 1 pound medium prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 corn tortillas or 12 mini street corn taco tortillas
- oil for frying
- cabbage mix
- Queso Fresco
- sliced avocado
- Chopped Cilantro
- Avocado slices
- cilantro avocado lime crema
- Lime wedges for garnish
FOR THE CILANTRO-AVOCADO-LIME Crema:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- juice from one lime
- 1/2 avocado
- black pepper to taste
- dash of chili pepper
- dash of garlic powder
- salt to taste
- In a bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper (if using), diced cilantro, chili powder, black pepper. Add in peeled and deveined shrimp and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to marry.
- While shrimp is marinating make Cilantro Lime Avocado Crema.
- In a blender add the juice of one lime. 2 Tablespoons cilantro. 1/2 cup of sour cream, and spices. Blend on medium high until cilantro is chopped and everything is well blended. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Cook shrimp in a skillet on medium heat until pink and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and cover to keep warm.
- Use enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of a small pan, about 2 tablespoons. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook tortillas one at a time until soft, and lightly brown, about 30 seconds on each side. Fold over to make a taco shell. As you cook each tortilla, place them on paper towels to absorb any of the oil left over. If using street tacos double the shells.
- Place cabbage mix and chopped cilantro on the tortilla shell. Spoon shrimp into each taco shell making sure to drizzle some of the juices over the cabbage.
- Drizzle with the Cilantro Avocado Lime Crema Sauce. Tuck in a slice of avocado and sprinkle with Queso Fresco.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
HOT TARGET Set of 3-7, 9, 12 inches, Heavy Duty, Non-Stick, Stainless Steel Silicone BBQ and Kitchen Tongs (Can Also Be Used as BBQ Turners), (Pack of 3, Multi Color)
Certified International 22451SET/4 Tunisian Sunset Salad/Dessert Plates (Set of 4), 8.75", Multicolor
Nordic Ware Microwave Tortilla Warmer, 10-Inch
Serving Size:2 tacos
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1477Total Fat: 75gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 49gCholesterol: 375mgSodium: 2501mgCarbohydrates: 157gFiber: 33gSugar: 25gProtein: 70g