A quick, easy, and comforting dish. Loaded with southern style hash browns, juicy ham, broccoli, and a scrumptious cheese sauce, topped off with crispy golden crushed potato chips. A main dish the whole family will love!
Recently someone said “Cooking food for others is an expression of Love”!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I agree with that statement. I know for me personally it has ALWAYS been my love language! Knowing I’m able to provide a delicious food experience for those I love and care about brings me great joy!
Sometimes those dishes are elaborate labors of love…feasts fit for kings, a table set with my best china. Other times they are a quick comforting casserole on a busy weeknight with paper plates and napkins.
Any dish that someone takes the time and effort to make for you, is a labor of love. Even a weeknight casserole.
This is one such comforting bake! It is made with thawed store bought southern hash browns, leftover… or store bought ham slices, broccoli, and a yummy homemade cheese sauce.
It’s budget friendly and a dish your family is sure to love!
How To Make Ham & Broccoli Casserole
Preheat oven to 350° . Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking oil. Set aside.
In a large skillet, with 1 Tablespoon of butter, over medium-high heat, brown 2 cups of cubed ham. The goal is to just brown the edges of the cubed ham.
TIP: You can use leftover ham, ham steak, or fresh slices of ham for this casserole.
Place browned ham on paper towel lined plate to drain. Set pan aside to use later.
In a large bowl combine 1 bag (28 ounce) thawed southern hash browns. I love the addition of the peppers and onions to this dish. That is why I choose to use Southern Hash Browns for this casserole. You can, however, use plain diced hash browns.
Add 1 bag (12 ounce) broccoli florets, thawed.
Add browned Ham to potatoes and broccoli.
In the same skillet you browned the ham in, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup butter, 1 small (original 7.5 ounce) tub cream cheese spread with chives and onions, 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, and 1/4 cup milk. Mix with whisk, until ingredients combine into a creamy sauce.
Add 1 cup grated cheese. Stir until cheese melts and combines to create a delicious cream sauce. This is sauce is what all cheese sauces aspire too! (I speak to cheese so I know!)
Pour the cheese sauce over the potatoes, broccoli, and ham. (I like to think of this as the “love” portion of this dish! Cheese sauce is Life!)
Gently stir all the ingredients together to combine the Ham, potatoes, broccoli and sauce.
I love the colors in this dish! Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl while mixing!
Place the casserole ingredients into the prepared baking dish. Use a spatula to spread evenly in baking dish.
Top off with additional cup of grated cheese.
In a large Ziploc bag add 2 cups lightly salted potato chips. Using a rolling pin, crush the potato chips into a fine crumb.
Sprinkle potato chip crumbs on top of grated cheese.
Now I know what you’re thinking…so if you came here looking for a low fat dish, you’ve got the wrong casserole! (Probably the wrong food blogger too! I just love my food loaded with flavor!)
This is a comfort dish…in my opinion comfort and “low cal” do not live in the same Nest! (Not even the same planet…let’s be real!)
Place casserole in preheated oven. Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown, and the cheese sauce is bubbling up through the chips.
Doesn’t that look yummy! Honestly when I see a casserole like this…I think of the comfort dishes of my youth! The good old “stick ta yer ribs” dishes that Grandma used to make.
Allow this casserole to sit for a few minutes to let the cheese sauce simmer back into all those delicious ingredients! It nestles down into all those scrumptious taters and vegetables.
This recipe is reminiscent of Cheesy Potato and Broccoli Soup…with ham…in casserole form! Biggest difference? You need a fork not a spoon! Not sure what could be better?
This is a great family one dish meal!
Add a salad and a basket of my homemade Seven Week Bran Muffins for a fantastic dinner everyone is sure to enjoy!
Enjoy this recipe? You may also enjoy some of my other favorite easy to make casseroles!
Easy Family Casserole Recipes
- Pork Chop and Creamy Potato Casserole
- Mexican Ground Beef Lasagna
- Chicken Bubble Biscuit Bake Casserole
- Mexican Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Minnesota Pork Chop Casserole
- Easy Chicken Rice Casserole from Soulfully Made
- Southern Chicken and Dressing Casserole from Julia’s Simply Southern
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by today and share this recipe with me! I truly hope your family enjoys this dish as much as we do.
- 1 Tablespoon butter, for cooking
- 2 cups cubed ham
- 1 (28 ounce) bag, southern country hash browns, thawed
- 1 (12 ounce) bag broccoli florets, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (7.5 ounce) chive and onion cream cheese spread
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 cups lightly salted potato chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add cubed ham. Cook to brown edges, stirring frequently. Place cooked ham on paper towel lined plate. Reserve pan and any liquids.
- In same skillet you cooked ham, over medium heat, add 1/4 cup butter. Stir until melted. Add cream of chickens soup, and cream cheese. Stir until all ingredients are melted and combine. Add 1 cup grated cheese and 1/4 cup of milk. Stir until cheese is melted and sauce is creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl add thawed southern style potatoes, thawed broccoli, browned ham, and cheese sauce. Stir to combine.
- Pour potato cheese mixture into prepared casserole dish. Spread evenly in baking dish.
- Top casserole with remaining 1 cup of cheese. Sprinkle with crushed potato chips.
- Place casserole in preheated oven. Bake uncovered, for 45 minutes until chips are golden brown and cheese sauce is bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to "rest" for 5 - 10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
4 Pieces Silicone Nonstick Mixing and Slotted Spoons Set, Large Silicone Serving Slotted Spoon Nonstick Heat Resistant Spoons for Kitchen Baking Stirring Draining Tools (Red, Black)
Potholders Set Trivets Set 100% Pure Cotton Thread Weave Hot Pot Holders Set (Set of 3) Stylish Coasters, Hot Pads, Hot Mats,Spoon Rest For Cooking and Baking by Diameter 7 Inches (Gray)
DI ORO Seamless Series 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set - 600°F Heat Resistant Non Stick Rubber Kitchen Scraper Spatulas for Cooking, Baking, and Mixing – BPA Free and LFGB Certified Silicone (Black)
Farberware Dishwasher Safe Nonstick Jumbo Cooker/Saute Pan with Helper Handle - 6 Quart, Blue
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 3 Qt Glass Baking Dish with Lid
Serving Size:1 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 309Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 822mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g