I whipped up this Cake Mix Cinnamon Coffee Cake in a matter of minutes for my family last week! It’s the perfect reason to invite a friend over for a visit or to take to your next Church Pot Luck! It melts-in-your-mouth it’s so moist, with hints of swirled cinnamon streusel, and vanilla icing drizzle.
Years ago my mother-in-law dropped by with a cinnamon bundt cake. Mars…who isn’t much of a “cake” eater…ate a slice. Then he ate another, and another! Who knew that cinnamon coffee cake would be the “it” dessert?
I sat there looking very skeptical. What was up? This man doesn’t really eat sweets! Let alone cake! Within mere minutes, he preformed a magic trick. He made that cake disappear! (He did David Copperfield Proud!)
He kept asking if I could replicate that Cinnamon Coffee Cake! Well…sure I could! I’d need a new bundt pan of course! (I use whatever excuse I can to get a new cookware friends! lol Did I really need a new bundt pan? NO! I wanted one. There’s a difference! lol) I actually ended up buying an angle cake pan. I love it!
After a couple tries in my “New” Bundt Pan…I hit the nail on the head!
This Cake Mix Cinnamon Coffee Cake is even better than the original. It’s SO moist it melts-in-your-mouth and brings a smile to your face, and a skip to your step! I double dog dare you to just eat one slice of this heavenly Coffee Cake. You will love how easy this cake is to make!
Let’s get started!
How to Prepare Cake Mix Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Preheat oven to 325°. Prepare a bundt pan, or angel food cake pan, with non-stick baking spray with flour.
In your mixer mixing bowl combine 1 Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix. (We’ve discussed my love of Duncan Hines before! It’s simply the BEST!) Add a 3.4 oz box of instant french vanilla pudding, 1 cup sour cream, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1/4 cup of warm water, 4 eggs, and 1 teaspoon imitation butter flavoring.
Mix on low-speed for 1 minute. Increase speed and mix for an additional 3-4 minutes until smooth.
In a separate bowl mix together 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. (Keep your fingers out of the cinnamon topping! It’s so tempting to lick your finger and steal a bit! Don’t ask how I know!)
Pour half the cake batter into prepared bundt pan.
Sprinkle cinnamon filling over top of cake batter. Make sure to spread it evenly over the entire center of the cake.
Top with remaining cake batter. Use a spatula to gently spread it over the top of the cinnamon filling.
In another separate bowl mix together 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Slowly add 1 Tablespoon melted butter. Mix together with a small whisk or fork until small pea sized crumble forms.
You can use your hands to get in there and really crumble up that streusel. Ya may want to yodel while you’re at it! Jump into your roll as streusel maker! Go after it with gusto! (I can hear “little old lady who” in kitchens all over the world! lol)
Sprinkle HALF of the streusel mixture on top of the cake. (See my tips below for the reason we are doing this!) Reserve the other half and set aside for later.
Place cake in center of preheated oven. Bake for 50-55 minutes.
Half way through bake time carefully slide cake out, on oven rack, and sprinkle with remaining half of streusel mixture. Continue baking until cake springs back when gently pressed.
Remove cake from oven and allow to cool completely.
While cake is cooking mix together 1/2 cup powder sugar and 1/2 Tablespoon milk with a splash of vanilla. Mix until smooth and creamy.
Remove cake from pan. I used an angle food cake pan that did NOT have a removable bottom, (it’s okay for you to think I’m stupid at this point…I know I was!) Place a plate over the top of the cake pan , invert the cake top carefully onto the plate, then place your cake plate against the bottom and invert it again.
It was my way of honoring the Winter Olympics with a double invert with a twist! (Going for GOLD my friends!) It was executed perfectly! Even though it may not have been my brightest idea…it worked beautifully and I love how this cake looks baked in that pan!
Drizzle the cake with the creamy vanilla icing. Don’t go to heavy with the icing. Just enough to add a subtle hint of flavor.
Tips for Making Cake Mix Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Mix cinnamon filling and Streusel topping before hand. It will make prep a breeze.
- Spray your baking pan with a non-stick baking spray with flour
- Cake batter is extremely thick! Use a rubber spatula to spread cake batter.
- Use your hands to mix streusel topping to create the perfect pea size crumb.
- Sprinkle only HALF of streusel on top of cake before baking. It will sink into the cake during baking. That’s okay! We want that center swirl created when this happens. Sprinkle remainder of streusel half way through baking. This will stay on top of the cake and create the perfect light crumb topping.
- Store in an air tight container or cake plate with dome top to keep cake fresh and moist.
- Call a Friend to come over and join you!
Isn’t that a pretty slice of coffee cake?
The cinnamon swirl is so gentle and luscious in this cake. The streusel isn’t over powering. The light drizzle of vanilla icing is delicate, yet adds just the right amount of flavor to this moist delectable cake.
This is the perfect Cinnamon Coffee Cake to invite a friend over for a slice, or two, and a cup of your favorite hot beverage! Remember the days when friends and neighbors visited each other? It was the “perfect” time out for every Mom out there and helped us get through the days a little easier!
Maybe we should rename it “Visit Cake”! I think we could all use a lot more Coffee Cake and Visits with friends!
If you enjoyed this recipe you might like these other Breakfast Cake Recipes
- Cherry Lemon Danish
- Blood Orange Sweet Rolls
- Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake
- Raspberry Filled Donuts
- Fresh Apple Danish
The printable recipe is below. Thanks so much for stopping by my Nest for Coffee Cake and a Visit! Hope to see ya again…real soon!
Happy Nesting My Friends!
- 1 French Vanilla Cake Mix (or yellow cake mix)
- 1 - 3/4 oz. package of instant french vanilla pudding mix
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon imitation butter flavoring
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 - 1 1/2 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Milk
- Splash vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. Prepare bundt pan by spraying with non-stick baking spray with flour.
- In the mixing bowl of your mixer, add cake mix, pudding mix, 1/4 cup warm water, 1 Cup Sour Cream, 4 eggs, 3/4 cup of vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon of imitation butter flavoring. Mix on low speed for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium and mix for 3-4 minutes until batter is creamy and smooth.
- Spread half of cake batter in bottom of prepared bundt pan.
- In a small bowl mix together all the cinnamon filling ingredients.
- Sprinkle with Cinnamon Filling mixture making sure to spread it evenly.
- Top with remaining cake batter. Use a spatula to spread evenly.
- In another small bowl mix together dry streusel ingredients. Slowly add melted butter. Use hands to form small pea size crumble.
- Sprinkle top of cake with half of streusel mixture. Reserve remaining half and set aside.
- Place cake in center of rack in the middle of the oven.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes. Half way through baking, carefully slide out oven rack with cake and sprinkle with remaining streusel. Continue baking until when you touch center of cake it springs back.
- Remove cake from oven and cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix together vanilla glaze ingredients. Mix until smooth. Remove cake from pan. Drizzle with vanilla icing.
- Slice and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Royalty Art European Cake Stand with Dome (6-in-1 Design) Multifunctional Serving Platter for Kitchens, Dining Rooms, Pedes Glass Durabilitytal or Cover Use, Elegant Product Name
HOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5
Oven Mitts and Pot Holders Set, 500 F Heat Resistant Oven Mit Gloves Hot Pads for Kitchen Cooking Grill, Pure Cotton and Terrycloth Lining, Heavy Duty Thick Ovegloves Black, 4-Piece Set, by Coziselect
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
Checkered Chef Cooling Rack - Set of 2 Stainless Steel, Oven Safe Grid Wire Racks for Cooking & Baking - 8” x 11 ¾"
Cuisinart AMB-9TCP Chef's Classic Nonstick Bakeware 9-Inch Tube Cake Pan, 2-Piece
Serving Size:1 slice of cake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 482Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 82mgSodium: 413mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 1gSugar: 44gProtein: 5g
Norine’s Nest in no way provides any warranty, express or implied, towards the content of recipes in this website. It is the reader’s responsibility to determine the value and quality of any recipe or instructions provided for food preparation and to determine the nutritional value, if any, and safety of the preparation instructions.