An easy delicious baked Chicken Cordon Bleu with a fabulous mouth-watering Parmesan-Dijon Cream Sauce.
We spent the weekend celebrating my daughter’s birthday. It was a beautiful and perfect weekend with most of my “chicks” here at my Nest! Anyone who knows me, knows I’m happiest when I’m surrounded by all the “biddies” that roost on my limb of the family tree!
Speaking of “roosting”…(really bad segue to chicken recipe)…one of my favorite chicken dishes is Chicken Cordon Bleu.
However, I really don’t like all the fuss of making traditional Cordon Bleu. There’s all the pounding, stuffing, and rolling (not to mention impaling your hand with the stupid toothpick!) only to watch it all ooze out during the cooking phase! It’s a time-consuming dish and I think we’ve covered the “time” topic today! 😉
This recipe bakes in the oven, is layered not stuffed, and is so quick and easy. Best of all…it’s delicious!
The Parmesan-Dijon Cream sauce makes this dish. So don’t skip the sauce! You may want to make a facial mask out of it at some point during the meal when you’re licking your plate! (That’s all I’m going to say about that!)
I found this recipe several years ago on The Girl Who Ate Everything and she found the recipe at “Mel’s Kitchen Cafe”. I love recipes that are shared and re-shared. It’s a BIG gold star for a “keeper” recipe!
How To Make Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu
You will need 3 large, boneless, skinless chicken breast. Cut chicken breast in half length-wise, to make two thinner chicken breast cutlets; you will have a total of six thin chicken breasts.
Tip: To fillet, use a sharp carving knife and slice down the center, lengthwise, from one end to the other.
Now you have beautiful chicken angel wings! (Awwe…poor little chicken! I think I hear “taps” playing in the distance?) Okay in all seriousness…here is a photo of what your chicken breast should look like once you have them fillet…SEE…angels wings!
In a 9 x 13 sprayed glass baking dish, place chicken cutlet halves.
Remember what I said about this being a “layered” easy Chicken Cordon Bleu? This is when the layering begins. The first layer is ham. I purchased my ham from the Deli at Walmart and I made sure to purchase a good quality black forest ham. I slice each piece in half and overlap them on top of each chicken breast.
Next layer is Swiss Cheese. Again purchase a really good quality baby Swiss. I cut each slice in half and placed them on top of the ham layer. I didn’t use as much Swiss as I wanted, but that’s because I didn’t have as much on hand as I thought! Since town is not a quick trip it was what it was! You go ahead and layer that cheese up!
It’s time for the yummy crunchy panko bread topping! Melt the butter in a microwave safe dish. (I just use my glass liquid measuring cup.) Be sure to cover it, so you don’t end up with a nicely greased microwave!
Add the Panko crumbs right into the melted butter and mix until well coated. If you’re not a fan of Panko Crumbs…go see your doctor! There’s a serious problem. Lol No, I’m teasing you! You can use regular bread crumbs instead of the Panko crumbs. I happen to love the coarser texture of Panko crumbs for this recipe.
Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs on top of the cheese layer! Don’t stress if it doesn’t cover every inch of the chicken breast. It’s going to be perfect. The chicken breasts will shrink when cooking and the crumbs will actually cover everything beautifully!
Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, or dried parsley if you don’t have fresh. It gives a beautiful “pop” of color.
Place the prepared chicken into a 350° oven and bake for 30–35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through completely, the cheese is bubbly, and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
While the chicken is cooking make the Parmesan Dijon Cream Sauce. In a medium sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly. This is to prevent lumps! Cook the butter and flour mixture for 1–2 minutes.
Slowly pour in the milk while whisking quickly. Stir in the chicken bouillon granules and salt. Continue whisking mixture constantly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken. Roughly about 3–5 minutes.
Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and Parmesan cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Keep sauce warm until the chicken is finished baking.
TIP: If your sauce becomes too thick just add a little more milk. If it is too thin, simmer longer and reduce it down until it is the thickness you prefer.
Serve each piece of Chicken Cordon Bleu with the warm Parmesan-Dijon Cream Sauce. Sprinkle with additional chopped parsley.
Isn’t that a beautiful Chicken Cordon Bleu?! The bread crumbs are beautiful and crispy golden brown. The Swiss cheese is melted and bubbly! The chicken and ham are the perfect platform for all the other toppings. The delicious lip-smacking Parmesan-Dijon Sauce brings it all together in one perfect marriage of flavors!
It looks like a fancy dish you could serve to company, but it really is so simple to make with very little prep work that it’s the perfect busy weeknight meal!
I feel the most difficult part of this recipe is that Parmesan-Dijon Cream Sauce and even that isn’t difficult. You just have to spend a little time whisking, and it’s worth every whip of the arm! Plus… It’s good Cardio! 😉 Win-win!
I served fresh green beans and a beautiful Cesar Salad with mine. It was a fantastic easy weeknight meal and one I know your family will love!
Other delicious Easy Chicken Recipes here at Norine’s Nest
- Slow Cooker Copy Cat Cafe Rio Chicken
- Cashew Chicken Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
- Chicken Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
- Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs
Thanks for stopping by my Nest! Remember, if you want to see all my weekly recipes and fun idea’s to sign up for my Free Weekly Newsletter!
- 3 large, thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise (to make two thinner chicken breast cutlets: you will have 6 thin chicken breast total)
- 12 slices good quality deli ham
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) thinly sliced Swiss Cheese
For the Parmesan-Dijon Cream Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouilllon granules (or 1 bouillon cube, crushed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worchstershire sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray and preheat oven to 350° degrees. In a bowl, combine the bread crumbs and melted butter. Set aside.
- Lay the cut chicken breasts in a single layer in the 9 x 13 dish. Layer each chicken breast with two slices of ham and top with slices of Swiss Cheese, layering across the chicken breast to make sure the entire chicken breast is covered with ham and cheese. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 30-35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through completely, the cheese is bubbling and the bread crumbs are golden.
- When the chicken is almost done, in a medium sauce pan, melt the 2 Tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly. Cook the flour/butter mixture for 1-2 minutes. Slowly pour the milk while whisking quickly. Stir in the chicken bouillon granules and salt. Whisk mixture constantly over medium heat until the mixture begins to simmer and thicken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened, remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted. Keep the sauce warm until the chicken is finished baking. If your sauce is too thick, whisk in some more milk. If it's too thin, simmer longer.
- Serve each chicken cordon bleu with warm sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Set of 3 Stainless Steel & Silicone Whisk 8"+10"+12", Kitchen Balloon Hand Stainless Whisk Set for Blending Whisking Beating Stirring by Ouddy
OXO 1169600 Good Grips 3-Piece Mixing Set, White Bowls with Blue/Green/Brown Handles, Yellow
Pyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish, Clear 8.9 Inch X 13.2 Inch - 3 Qt
Serving Size:1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 1145mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 34g