Tender Shredded Chicken in a creamy sauce with mixed vegetables and seasonings. Top it all off with crispy golden Tater Tots, rather than a flaky crust, and lots of melted cheese to create a fantastic casserole.
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
I keep thinking that January will slow down and I’ll get myself together! It’s just not happening! That’s okay though…life is busy! I like being busy!
When life is busy, like it is right now, I turn to quick easy meals…mainly casseroles! They’re complete meals in one dish! What’s not to love! I know there are anti-casserole crowds out there…but they don’t reside at this Nest! Thank goodness. To me they are a mother’s dinner salvation!
When the kids were younger, casseroles were budget savers! I could stretch smaller portions of meat with a few other inexpensive ingredients into a large casserole and feed our entire family…including hungry teenage boys, a comforting quality home cooked meal!
Casseroles are comfort food! There’s just no two ways about it! They’re loaded with textures and flavors that can only be found when combined together in one baking dish! Especially if cheese is involved…and cheese is always involved!
What could be better than taking a classic comfort dish like “Chicken Pot Pie” and kicking it up by replacing the traditional flaky crust with every kids favorite…Crispy Golden Tater Tots!
This delicious casserole is so easy to make! Let the kids help you pull this together and then watch them devour it!
How To Make Easy Tater Tot Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
In a large bowl combine 3 cups chopped chicken. You can use Rotisserie Chicken or Cook your own chicken and chop it into bite size pieces.
Add two regular cans of Cream of Chicken Soup. I know not everyone is a canned soup fan. If you want to make your own from scratch then please feel free. I’m all about simplicity!
Add 1 cup Sour Cream, 1 Tablespoon Ranch Dressing Mix, and 1 (12 oz) bag of mixed frozen vegetables.
Add 1 Tablespoon dried onion flakes, 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Stir to combine ingredients until well incorporated.
Add 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray! Pour chicken mixture into prepared casserole dish. Using a spatula spread evenly.
Top with Tater Tots…in neat little rows. I know…you’ll be tempted to just throw them all over the top of that scrumptious chicken mixture…but we are creating a “crust” with Tater Tots! (Eat your heart out Julia!) It’s fine if the Tater Tots are frozen! No worries.
Sprinkle the top of the Tater Tots with an additional cup of shredded cheddar cheese. You can top the casserole off with a hefty sprinkling of Everything Bagel Seasoning, or Fresh Parsley, for a little pop of color and flavor. However, it’s totally optional.
TIP: You can top with the cheese at the end of baking if you want the cheese less crisp and more melty. (That’s a word right?)
Preheat oven to 400°.
Place casserole in center of the oven and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. The filling should be bubbling up between the nooks and crannies of the tater tots… and the Tater Tots should be golden brown and crispy!
Allow the casserole to cool for a few minutes before serving.
This casserole has a delicious creamy base and a flavorful crispy top! The little bits of crunchy potato Tots create a unique crust for this pot pie.
You’ll love this casserole! It’s the perfect comfort dish for your family.
The most time consuming part of this recipe is lining those Tater Tots up in nice little rows. Which is why I suggest you let the little birds at your Nest help with that part! It’s puzzle piecing with Tater Tots with Tots! (Get it? Tots…playing with Tots! I know…that was really bad! It’s all I’ve got this week!)
Serve this yummy casserole with a great big Garden Salad for a wonderful meal! This casserole is loaded with veggies, chicken, and potato bites. It’s so filling you really don’t need more than that!
I hope your family enjoys this twist on a classic as much as we do! You may also enjoy these other casserole recipes.
Favorite Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Chicken Bubble Biscuit Bake Casserole
- Mexican Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Zucchini Pasta Casserole
- Chicken Florentine Casserole
- Cashew Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Asparagus Spaghetti Bake Casserole from Julia’s Simply Southern
- Easy Chicken Rice Casserole from Soulfully Made
Thanks for stopping by and visiting with me today! I hope you enjoy this casserole and it makes it to the weekly/monthly dinner rotation list!
- 3 Cups chopped cook chicken
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 Cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon Ranch Dressing Mix
- 1 package (12 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Onion flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Cups grated cheddar cheese, divide in half
- 1 bag (32oz) Tater Tot frozen potatoes
- Sprinkle of Everything Bagel Seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine chicken, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, ranch dressing, mixed vegetables, dried onion, coarse black pepper, garlic powder, and 1 cup grated cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Pour chicken mixture into prepared casserole dish. Spread evenly with spatula. Top with frozen Tater Tots lined evenly over the top of the chicken mixture. Top with additional cup of cheddar cheese, sprinkle with Bagel Seasoning if desired. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. *You can wait to top with cheese until after baking and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gorilla Grip Mixing Bowls Set of 2, Slip Resistant Bottom, Includes 5 Qt and 3 Quart Nested Bowl, Perfect for the Dishwasher, Grip Handle for Easy Mix and Pour, Baking and Cooking 2 Piece Set, Mint
Potholders Set Trivets Set 100% Pure Cotton Thread Weave Hot Pot Holders Set (Set of 3) Stylish Coasters, Hot Pads, Hot Mats,Spoon Rest For Cooking and Baking by Diameter 7 Inches (Gray)
MJIYA Silicone Slotted Serving Spoon, Nonstick Mixing Spoon, Silicone Heat Resistant Kitchen Cooking Utensils Non-Stick Baking Tool Tongs ladle Gadget (Red)
OXO Good Grips Freezer-to-Oven Safe 3 Qt Glass Baking Dish with Lid
Serving Size:1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 406Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 98mgSodium: 887mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g