The whole family will love this budget friendly hearty comforting soup! Made from ground beef and potatoes swimming a creamy cheese base, It’s certain to be a requested family favorite for years to come!
The holidays are officially over, and we are cautiously dipping our toes into 2023! I think it’s safe to say we all just want to sneak in through the side door and wait a minute before we fully commit!
One thing I’m willing to commit to is comfort food! Especially a creamy cheesy soup loaded with tender ground beef, diced potatoes, and savory herbs and spices.
This Cheeseburger Soup Recipe is one the whole family will love…even the pickiest of eaters!
I know there are hundreds, if not thousands, of versions of cheeseburger soup! All proclaiming to be the BEST cheeseburger soup recipe! However, this really is the epitome of Cheeseburger Chowder Recipes out there!
How can I make such a bold proclamation? Easy! My husband not only ate three giant servings of this soup on the day it was made…he begged me to hurry up with the final photo shoot, so he could finish the leftovers (Y’all it was worse than a two-year-old begging for a piece of old Easter Candy! Yeah…that bad!).
What You’ll Need To Make Easy Cheeseburger Soup
- ½ pound lean ground beef – You can use a higher fat content ground beef, I just prefer to use a leaner ground beef in my soup recipes.
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¾ Cup chopped onion – I recommend a white or yellow onion.
- ¾ Cup shredded carrots
- ¾ Cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon Black Stone Whiskey Burger Seasoning – This is 100% optional and not necessary. I just like the additional punch of smokey flavor it adds to the soup.
- 4 Cups frozen country hash brown cubes – You can dice fresh russet potatoes or red potatoes. I like to use frozen cubed potatoes as a time saver!
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth – You can substitute Beef Broth in place of the chicken broth for a richer soup base.
- ¼ Cup all-purpose flour, plus ¼ cup butter – for roux
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese – Please note you can substitute with Velveeta Cheese, American Cheese, or a Pepper Jack Cheese for a little added kick!
- ½ Cup milk
- 1 Cup heavy cream
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon pepper-freshly ground if possible.
- ¼ Cup sour cream – You can substitute with softened cream cheese.
- Optional Toppings – Onion Rings, thinly sliced green onions, extra shredded cheese, dill pickles
How To Make Creamy Cheeseburger Soup
In a large pot, or large Dutch oven, over medium-high heat; cook and crumble ground beef until no longer pink. About 6–8 minutes. You can remove it from the pot, but it isn’t necessary.
In the same pot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Sauté onion, carrots, celery, basil, parsley, and optional Black Stone Whiskey Burger Seasoning with the ground beef, until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add 4 cups of chicken or beef broth. I use chicken broth. You can use beef broth for a richer beefy flavor.
As mentioned above you can use fresh cubed russet or red potatoes. I wanted this to be a quick and easy recipe for the busy weeknight meal! Dumping in 4–5 cups of frozen potatoes seemed easier to me (You can even dump in the entire 2 lb. bag. I won’t tell on you!).
TIP: If using fresh diced potatoes keep them in a bowl with ice-cold water to prevent them from turning brown until ready to use.
Reduce heat. Stir. Simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 10–12 minutes.
Doesn’t that look good enough to eat right now? I love the rich colors. Hold off from stopping here…it’s about to get even better!
Creating a Roux for Soups
Many cream soups call for the addition of a “slurry” or “roux”. The benefit of adding a roux to a broth based soup is twofold. One is obviously the benefits of its thickening agents to liquid broths. Creating a chowder like soup.
The second, which is even more crucial for a cheese and cream based chowder or soup, is that it helps prevent the cheese from separating or “curdling” during its addition. (I can’t even handle that word!)
While the soup is simmering in a small sauce pan, or skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add ¼ cup all-purpose flour; cook and stir with a wire whisk, until bubbly. About 3–4 minutes.
Finishing Hamburger Potato Soup
Add roux to soup. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir a couple of minutes, 2-3 should do it!
Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Please note you can use any percentage of milk you’d like, except skim milk.
Add Cheese. Stir. Cook until cheese melts. (If you’re lucky you’ll burn your wooden spoon like I have for a little extra smoky flavor!)
TIP: Remember you can use Velveeta Cheese or American Cheese for a creamier texture. Jack Cheese if you want a bit of a kick. It’s completely up to you and your family’s individual tastes and preferences.
Blend in ¼ cup of sour cream.
Tip: If you’re not a sour cream fan you can skip this step or substitute with softened cream cheese. It won’t affect the outcome of the recipe.
Toppings and Recommended Sides For Cheeseburger Soup
If desired you can serve your Cheeseburger Soup with a little bit of purchased Crunchy Onion Rings, sliced green onions, bacon bits, extra cheese…and if you’re really into it… chopped dill pickles. I mean…this soup has the flavors of a cheeseburger!
Questions and Answers For Cheeseburger Soup
- Can this soup be made in my Slow Cooker or Instant Pot? The answer is a resounding “Yes”! For the slow cooker, brown your ground beef. Add ground beef, and everything but the roux, milk, heavy cream and cheese to your slow cooker. Cook on low for 4–6 hours. Make the roux add it to the soup stirring until thick. Add the cream, milk, and cheese. Stir until blended and serve. For the Instant Pot, brown your ground beef on sauté. Add the vegetables and cook till tender. Add the broth and potatoes. Place the lid on your pot and set to the “Rice” setting. Make your roux. Quick Release your instant pot. Add roux, allow mixture to thicken. Add cream, milk, and sour cream. Stir and serve.
- Can you freeze Cheeseburger Soup? Yes! Once the soup has cooled place in an airtight container and feeze up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw soup, place in sauce pan or microwave and heat until warm.
- Can I substitute Ground Turkey for the Ground Beef? Yes, of course you can. Please be aware the flavors will not be the same, but you’ll still have an amazing pot of Turkey Burger Soup!
- What do you serve with Cheeseburger Soup? Lots of things! This is the BEST soup to pair with grilled cheese sandwiches, salads, or a big thick slab of my buttery sweet corn bread!
- Why did my cheese separate when I added it to my soup? There are several reasons. One could be you added it too quickly. Cheese should be added slowly to soups, a little at a time. The other is your forgot to add a roux or slurry beforehand to help stabilize the addition of dairy.
Other Favorite Ground Beef Soup Recipes
- Best Slow Cooker Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- Ground Beef Vegetable Pasta Soup
- Italian Beefy Noodle Soup
- Taco Soup
- Cabbage Beef Soup from Allrecipes.com
- Dad’s Red Beef Soup from The Kitchen Whisper.net
As always, Thanks for stopping by my Nest! This “Cheeseburger”, in soup form, is a great way to feed your family. It’s a meal I promise they will love as much as mine does! Enjoy!
Happy New Year and Happy Nesting!
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ¾ cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon Blackstone Whiskey Burger seasoning (optional)
- 4 cups Frozen Country cubed hash browns
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese - See substitutions below in notes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ cup sour cream
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, cook and crumble ground beef until no longer pink. 6-8 minutes; drain. In the same pan, with the ground beef, melt 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Saute onion, carrots, celery, basil, parsley, and Blackstone seasoning(optional) until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet or sauce pan, melt ¼ cup of butter. Add flour, cook and stir until bubbly, 3-5 minutes. Add to soup; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Stir until well combined. Add cheese. Cook until cheese melts. Remove from heat; blend in sour cream. If desired, serve with sliced green onions, additional shredded cheese, bacon, and crispy onion rings.
Substitutions for Cheeseburger Soup
You can substitute the shredded cheddar cheese for Velveeta or American Cheese, equal quantities. You can substitute the sour cream with cream cheese.
You can substitute the frozen potatoes for equal amounts of fresh russet or red potatoes.
Instructions fof Slow Cooker and Instant Pot versions within the recipe post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Instant Pot Duo Plus 9-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker, Warmer & Sterilizer, Includes App With Over 800 Recipes, Stainless Steel, 6 Quart
SWEEJAR Ceramic Soup Bowls with Double Handles, 20 Oz Stacked Bowls for French Onion Soup, Cereal, Pot Pies, Stew, Chill, Pasta, Set of 4(Dark Turquoise)
LE TAUCI Soup Bowls With Handles, 22 Ounce for Soup, chili, beef stew, Set of 4, Red
Amazon Basics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven, 6-Quart, Blue
Crockpot 8 Quart Slow Cooker with Auto Warm Setting and Cookbook, Black Stainless Steel
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 784Total Fat: 56gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 128mgSodium: 1795mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 27g