Triple Berry Cream Cheese Shortcake is the best! It’s swirled with baked cheesecake filling every nook and cranny with delicious little bits of heavenly luscious cream cheese.
A few weeks ago I made those yummy Cherry Cream Cheese Knots. When I finished I had some left over cream cheese mixture. (Grandma taught me we do NOT waste food! Which pretty much explains why I eat everything…)
I was making strawberry shortcake at the same time…so I thought “Why Not?” Just to play it safe I only did it on half of the shortcake…mainly because Mr. Mars can be sort of picky about his shortcake.
Well I loved it! Wow! It’s like having moist shortcake with little nuggets of cheesecake blended in! Can you say “Heavenly”? (I’m pretty sure this is the shortcake they serve past the pearly gates!)
I posted a photo of it on my instagram and right out of the gate I had several of you request the recipe. YIKES!!! I didn’t photograph the step-by-step process so I had to wait till I made it again. Thankfully…During berry season that isn’t too long of a wait!
This time I made the entire shortcake with the cream cheese swirl and the family exclaimed… “Always make it like this!” I think that pretty well sums up this shortcake. (I happen to agree with them.)
How To Make Triple Berry Cream Cheese Shortcake
Since we are kickin’ up the shortcake it’s only fair to kick up the berries. Triple the berries!
I added a variety of berries to the traditional strawberries…blueberries and raspberries. The first time around I added black berries and blueberries. I’ll leave the berry combination up to you.
Add sugar to the berries and gently mix and set aside. Those ingredients all need to get cozy!
Before we continue…let’s talk about my philosophy on shortcake…why go to all the work to mix flour with shortening and baking powder when Bisquick has taken care of that for me? So… I use Bisquick for one thing…this is it! Shortcake.
In a large bowl add 2 cups of Bisquick, 3 Tablespoons of sugar, 4 Tablespoons melted butter, and 2/3 cup of milk.
Mix all those ingredients together until you have a nice moist sticky dough. If it’s too firm add more milk.
In a separate bowl mix together 1/2 cup of soft spreadable cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of sugar, and half a beaten egg. Mix together until smooth.
Spread the cake batter into an 8 x 8 sprayed baking dish. Place dollops of the cream cheese mixture on top of the cake batter. I had a little bit of the cream cheese mixture left over. (I just want you to know that I didn’t use every drop of the mixture. I’ll deal with Grandma in the after life!)
Using a butter knife swirl the cream cheese dollops into the cake batter. The majority of the Cream Cheese mixture will stay on top of the short-cake batter. Don’t worry about that. We want it there…we just want a little of it to swirl in to the batter.
Sprinkle with sugar. Place in a 350° degree preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Bake times may vary depending on altitude and oven temperatures so be sure to check the cake.
To do that slide a sharp knife into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean with no raw cake batter…it’s done. It may have some cream cheese on it…that’s okay.
Look at that shortcake! Isn’t it pretty! I love how the top of the shortcake has “cheesecake” nesting in the nooks and crannies! That’s a whole lotta YUM right there my friends!
Cut into squares…while still warm, slice in half, top with all those yummy berries, and whipped cream!
If you’ve read my first post on traditional strawberry shortcake…you’ll know I consider myself a connoisseur! (It’s a family thing that goes Waaaaaaay Back!) So being the worlds foremost expert on Shortcake…I can honestly say…HOT DANG! This is SO GOOD!
Favorite Family Dessert Recipes
- Chocolate Raspberry Filled Cupcakes
- Country Apple Dumplings with Warm Cinnamon Sauce
- Chocolate Chip Walnut Cake
- World’s Best Carrot Cake
- Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake
Skip dinner and have this Triple Berry Cream Cheese Shortcake instead! You have my permission! lol Shhhhhh…just don’t tell Grandma! (She’d want the first piece!)
- 3 Cups Strawberries sliced thinly
- 1 Cup Blueberries
- 2 Cups Raspberries or Blackberries
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons melted butter
Cream Cheese Mixture
- 1/2 cup spreadable original cream cheese
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- Half a beaten egg
- Whipped Cream for garnish
- Mix all berries in a large bowl and gently toss with sugar. Cover and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Grease a 8 x 8 glass baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl mix together 2 cups of Bisquick, 3 Tablespoons of sugar, 4 Tablespoons of melted butter, and 2/3 cups of milk. Mix until sticky moist dough forms. If needed add more milk until cake batter is thick but spreadable.
- Spread shortcake in the greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
Cream Cheese Swirl
- In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup of spreadable cream cheese, 3 Tablespoons of sugar, and half of a whipped large egg.
- Beat till smooth.
- Place large spoonfuls of cream cheese mixture on top of the shortcake batter. (You may not use all the cream cheese topping.) Using a butter knife swirl cream cheese mixture through the shortcake batter. Most of the cream cheese topping will stay on top. Swirl the best you can.
- Place baking dish in preheated oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until sharp knife inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool briefly. Cut into 9 squares. Slice in square in half. Place a scoop of berries. Place top on top of first layer of berries. Top with more berries and whipped cream.
Serving Size:1 slice of shortcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 39mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 4gSugar: 34gProtein: 5g