Steak and Pork Un-kabobs have all the color and deliciousness of regular grilled kabobs without all the effort! Tender marinated meat, fresh squash, onions, peppers, mushrooms, and fresh pineapple served over a bed of fluffy slow-cooked wild rice.
Is there anything better in the summer than standing outside and catching the whiffs of a neighbor grilled dinner wafting through the air! It’s the best.
The only thing better? If those smells are coming from your own backyard! (Plus around this nest it means I’m not cooking!)
Kabobs are a delicious summer dinner idea. All your favorites on a stick! (Okay not all your favorites! There’s no chocolate or cheesecake!) Can life get any better?
Yes! It can! How you ask?
By deconstructing the kabob and placing everything in a grilling basket. It’s the perfect meal for tired Mom’s who don’t want to take the time to thread all those luscious components on a oversized bamboo toothpick!
This is a fantastic, quick, easy, summertime dinner idea! Loaded with fresh healthy flavorful vegetables and big chunks of steak and pork! Why Steak and Pork? It’s what I had on hand and frankly…the combo is scrumptious!
The recipe makes four servings and can all be prepared ahead of time! Another huge bonus!
How To Make Slow Cooker Wild Rice
Slow Cooked Wild Rice is the perfect pairing with the marinated grilled Steak and Pork Un-kabobs!
Rinse and strain 1 cup of wild rice.
Place rinsed wild rice in the bottom of small 1.5 quart slow cooker. Add 2 cups of chicken broth.
TIP: The chicken broth adds delicious flavor to this all grain rice with it’s nutty flavor.
Cook on low for 4 hours until liquids are completely absorbed and rice is fluffy!
How To Make Steak & Pork Un-Kabobs
For a 4 serving recipe you will need one Top Sirloin Steak, about 1 lb., and two boneless pork chops about 1/2 inch thick.
Trim the fat from both the pork chops and the steak. Discard.
Using a sharp carving knife, cut pork chops and steak into bite sized cubes.
Place steak and pork cubes in a gallon size zip lock bag. Add 1 cup of Lawry’s Steak and Chop marinade.
I know…I cheated! Yes, I used bottled marinade! (Sigh! Gasp! Julia rolled over in her grave! Life will go on!)
I’m actually okay with that fact…summers should be spent doing fun things and not spent in a hot kitchen! So go for the bottle!! (Please know I’m not advocating drinking…marinating only…course technically drinking is a form of marinating…Hmmm! Oh Dear!)
Place meat in the refrigerator and marinade for 3-4 hours. I know the bottle boasts 30 minutes. We aren’t going to rush the flavor element of this recipe. Let’s go full board on flavor!
I like to use squash, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and fresh pineapple when I make traditional kabobs…so why not use them in the deconstructed version…right?
You’ll need two small zucchini and two yellow crookneck squash. Slice the squash in half, then slice into 1/2 inch wide half moons.
Next up, 4-5 small sweet Italian peppers. I love the red peppers for the color. Slice 1/2 cup white onions.
Mushrooms! Gotta have the ‘shrooms!!! 3 cups small button mushrooms, washed, and dried. Trim the stems off and cut them in half.
Add two cups cut up fresh pineapple.
TIP: To keep this recipe simple and easy, I purchased pre-cut and prepared fresh pineapple.
If preparing ahead of time place everything in the refrigerator until ready to grill. When ready to grill drizzle about 3 Tablespoons of the Lawry’s marinade over the fruit and vegetables. Give it a good stir to coat everything.
Preheat grill to 400° degrees! Spray a grilling basket with non-stick cooking spray. Place grilling basket on grill and lower the lid to preheat the grilling basket, about 2 minutes.
Add marinated cubed meat. Stand back and listen to the sizzle!!! Ahhhhh! Nothing like it in the world!
Using a grilling tool stir meat in grilling basket occasionally during grilling.
TIP: Use a grilling oven mitt to hold onto the grilling basket when stirring meat in the grill basket.
Continue cooking until meat is done and golden around the edges. Checking on a regular basis during cook time.
Add vegetables and pineapple to the meat in the grilling basket. Give it a quick stir, lower the lid and allow to cook 5-8 minutes.
Lift lid and check vegetables through out cook time. When vegetable are “tender-crisp” turn off heat, close the lid, and allow it to sit in BBQ for another 4-5 minutes. This will allow the vegetables to steam cook without the meat over cooking.
How To Serve Steak and Pork Un-Kabobs
Spoon Slow Cooked Wild Rice on a large platter to create a bed of rice for the Steak and Pork Kabobs to nestle on!
Look at all those delicious flavors piled high on that amazing bed of nutty wild rice! The dish is loaded with all the fresh flavors of summer! Each bite has it’s own distinct savory flavor! The sweet peppers, pineapple, mushrooms…so delicious!
It was surprising how tender the pork and steak were in this dish! I love that they are bite sized and no cutting is needed…which allowed the little piggies at this house to just dig right in!
Serve this dish with fresh cut watermelon to keep it simple.
One of the wonderful things about this dish, besides how easy it is to make, and the fact that it’s budget friendly, is that it’s a one dish meal! Completely all encompassing.
Meat, vegetables, and grains all in one fantastic dish! The pristine flavors of summer shine through in this new favorite! It’s a MUST try this summer!
Looking for More Summer Grilling Recipes? Here are some of our Favorites!
- Grilled Cilantro Citrus Shrimp
- Grilled Marinated London Broil
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Breasts
- Pesto Stuffed Grilled Chicken
As always, Thanks so much for stopping by! If you try this recipe share a photo with me on my Instagram account #norinesnest! I love hearing from y’all!
Steak & Pork Un-Kabobs
Marinated Steak and Pork, fresh squash, mushrooms, onions, peppers, and pineapple grilled to perfection and served on a bed of slow cooked wild rice.
- 2 boneless pork chops
- 1 top sirloin steak, 1 lb.
- 1 cup Lawry's Steak and Chop Marinade
- 2 small zucchini squash
- 2 yellow crookneck squash
- 3 cups button mushrooms, cut in half
- 5 small sweet Italian peppers
- 1/2 cup sliced onions
- 2 cups cut fresh pineapple
- 3 Tablespoons Lawry's Steak and Chop Marinade
- 1 Cup Wild Rice, rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Trim fat from pork and steak. Cut pork chops and steak into bite size pieces.
- Place cut up pork and steak in a gallon size zip lock bag and cover with 1 cup of Lawry's Steak and Chop marinade. Refrigerate and marinade for 4 hours.
- Cut Zucchini and Crookneck squash in half and slice into 1/2 inch moons. Slice peppers into thin strips. Place in a medium size bowl. Add onions, mushrooms, and cut up pineapple. Drizzle with 3 Tablespoons of marinade. Cover and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill to 400 degrees. Spray grilling basket with non-stick cooking spray. Place on grill and allow basket to preheat for 2-3 minutes.
- Place marinated meat in preheated grilling basket. Cover BBQ with lid and allow to cook 5 minutes. Stir meat and cover grill again. Allow to cook another 5 minutes. Check meat for doneness. If done add vegetables. If not grill meat an additional 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables and stir to combine with grilled meat. Cover grill with lid and allow to cook 4-5 minutes. Stir. Cover and cook another 5 minutes till tender crisp. Turn heat off and allow to rest covered on grill for an additional 5 minutes.
Slow Cook Wild Rice
- Place rinsed rice in 1.5 quart slow cooker. Add 2 cups chicken broth.
- Cook on low for 4 hours until liquids are absorbed and rice is fluffy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cuisinart CNW-328 Non Stick Grill Wok, 11 by 11-Inch
Grillaholics BBQ Grill Tools Set - 4-Piece Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Barbecue Grilling Utensils - Premium Grill Accessories for Barbecue - Spatula, Tongs, Fork, and Basting Brush
GEEKHOM Grilling Gloves, Heat Resistant Gloves BBQ Kitchen Silicone Oven Mitts, Long Waterproof Non-Slip Potholder for Barbecue, Cooking, Baking (Black)
Serving Size:2 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1086Total Fat: 64gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 40gCholesterol: 224mgSodium: 3116mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 8gSugar: 26gProtein: 78g